It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:47 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Dark_Jon
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:56 pm 
Gold Member Offline

My Car: Mazda 323F ZXi

Well, finally got a replacement for the now departed Pipa...

Bit dirty already but done over 500 miles since getting her Wednesday from Acrington, that was an epic journey there and back again.

So yeah, an Alfa Romeo GT, something that's super practical and cheap to run :lol:

Actually, it really is all the above! Proper 5 seater with a hatch back and load space about the same as the BA. It's almost exactly the same dimension as the BA, even the height, and there really is enough room in the back for an adult to sit. Only real differences are that it's a 3 door and a diesel. Yup, you heard that right, a diesel Alfa GT, can't argue with over 300Nm of torque and 48+ mpg :shock:

Gorgeous interior too:

Really feels like a modern BA, just more economical, 6 speed box and lots more toys (though still no power folding mirrors :evil: ) But fully working air-con and cruiser control is bliss :lol:

Few little niggles, needs new thermostat and top engine mount, but cambelt and water pump were just changed, brand new MOT, 2 new tyres (others are 4 months old) and the front suspension has recently been done (a known 156/147/GT weak point). All stamps present and massive pack of receipts and bills. Absolutely loving it, all for a heck of a lot less than you might imagine (just don't buy a silver one, apparently hardest colour Alfa to sell)

Jon :D

maZZda
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:35 am 

I'm not really into Alphas, but if it floats your boat, good for you.It looks good actually but that's everything good i can say for this brand cars.. :)

brucey76
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:04 pm 

Well I like it, apart from the centre vents on the top of the dash, dunno why just think it looks odd. I had an alpha quite a few years ago and loved it, handling not as good as mazda but comfortable and responsive. In clarkson world you have indeed become a petrol head but you really need a rotary under your belt as well in my opinion

Dark_Jon
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:01 pm 
Gold Member Offline

My Car: Mazda 323F ZXi

Yeah, the centre vent is a bit odd, if just for the fact it's black plastic on a grey interior :?

The GT seems to handle pretty well and the steering feels quicker than on the ZXi, but that may be more to do with age. Steering circle isn't as good though. The Alfa feels a little smoother at speed, and marginally quieter (not that the F was ever really loud), but it can get unsettled on a rough road with some judder from the front wheels, which the F didn't suffer from.

As for a Rotary? I did look at the Rx8 but the seeming need to rebuild the engine every 50k and horrendous mpg put me off in the end, love the suicide doors though!

Alfa's seem to be a lot better than they used to be and their reputation gives them credit, the GT has most of its panels galvanized so rust isn't a major issue, and there are basically no rattles or squeaks on my car after 124k miles (if you ignore the diesel clatter when cold!!)

Would I go back to an F? maybe for a mint V6 Auto as a toy, unless I can convince the Mrs to let me have a 3.2 V6 GT next :drunken:

pitrack_1
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:13 pm 

HI Dark_Jon,

can't remember if I mentioned it to you (or someone else) earlier, did you consider a Mazda 3 Diesel (MZR-CD)? Couple of specs of the 2.2l available, I have the 2012 BL2 with 110kW/360Nm. This is a ripper, real grunt in 3rd (1st two gears are torque limited I believe). Around town I do ~6.2l/100km (~46mpg), on the highway (110km/h in Oz) I am down to ~5.2l/100km (54mpg) or better. It's a EURO4 in Oz so although it has a DPF and does a regen cycle it seems to have none of the control issues of the EURO5 or newer vehicles. I've had it since 138k km, now >170k km and it's been faultless throughout its life.

There was also a 136kW/400Nm version (not in Oz though) which must've been a real hoot.

Not quite as nice looking as the Alfa though!

Patrick