It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 4:19 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

SlicKxSAVAGE
 Post subject: Hello from SlicKxSAVAGE
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:37 pm 

My names Jackson, I’m from Western Australia and I own a 1997 Mazda 323 BA V6 2.0L. I found out about this page because I couldn’t work out for any reason why my headlights are so terrible on low beam :lol:

smurf182
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:16 pm 
Gold Member Offline

My Car: BA 1.5 Intrigue 'Womble'

Hi and welcome to the club, you will have noticed that they ain't the best on full beam either.......same problem the world over.
You could try night breakers or hid's.

SlicKxSAVAGE
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:14 pm 

Any clue where I could get a decent pair of hids?

pitrack_1
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:04 pm 

Hi Jackson,

yes the headlights are hopeless on low beam and beyond hopeless on hi-beam. Did some driving last night just to reinforce the view (or lack thereof).

I'd suggest the reasons for poor performance are a combination of
- early projector lamps optics not being up to scratch (Lo-beam)- the pattern is too restricted, no amount of (non-blinding-other-drivers) re-aiming helps
- slimline headlamps restricting the reflector design
- poor hi-beam design with a lack of effective reflector and lensing
- it's a bit of a trait I think with older Japanese produced cars I think because I suspect Japanese road users are not subject to 'roos or wombats/cows/camels/horses/emus/etc on dark country roads and therefore not in need excellent lighting.

I had a look online a while ago to see if you could replace the lo-beam projectors with more efficient units (would require some drilling/mounting), but found the BA series have a slightly smaller projector unit so something like e.g. a Mazda3 unit probably wouldn't fit. There was an aftermarket one I found but it didn't say it met any standards and not sure it was for RHD anyway (i.e. upswept area on correct side).

Hella list a 50mm projector insert in their catalog but it seems to say LHD (RH traffic) only (1BL 009 071-001).

I think if you use uprated bulbs or HIDs you'll simply end up with more poorly constrained light.

Only easy solution I can think of is a good set of spotties or a good light-bar turned on with the high beams.

Patrick

SerenaJ
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:07 am 
Gold Member Offline

My Car: '97 GXi, '98 ZXi

Hi Jackson, & welcome :)

I sympathise with the light problem ;)

The BAs used two phases of lights: the earlier ones used "Koito" type lights, which were, frankly, rubbish on low beam. The very last BAs used Bosch lights, which are much better.

My '97 1.5 has Koitos, my '98 V6 has Bosch. You can tell which is which, as the light glass either has "Koito" or "Bosch" imprinted on it. Or just light a match next to the car: if you have Koitos, the match will be brighter :lol:

Unfortunately the two types are not easily interchangeable, as the back portion of the lights, and the wiring, are different (though I'm sure someone has attempted it, if you were to search the forum). They also use different bulbs.

I've tried using brighter bulbs, but it doesn't make much difference, probably because (as Patrick explained) the beam and reflection design of Koito lamps themselves isn't brilliant.

A light bar/spots are probably the best option. Lots of people in UK use HIDs, but check whether they are legal for MOT in Australia (I'm sure Patrick can tell you!) Certainly in UK, I understand that you generally have to disconnect them for MOT.

S

"She'll hold together. (Please baby, hold together)"

'Sundance' maintenance thread here (1.5 GXi) - Proudly un-lowered!
'Butch' maintenance thread here (2.0 V6 ZXi SE)

jinglebells
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:45 pm 

Hi Jackson,
I had the same problem, and you may like to check this: On the BA projector-beam units it's unfortunately very easy to get the bulb not quite fully "home" in its socket. The result is a very poor and odd-shaped beam pattern. Every time I changed a bulb I had this problem, you really need to wiggle it to get it to snap in the last millimetre, and it makes a huge difference.
Can you post a picture of the beam pattern as seen from the driver's seat when shining at a wall (in the dark!) about 5 metres away from the car, and I'll let you know if the bulbs are fully "home".

But I'll agree that even when correctly installed they're not the best, as others have said above.

pitrack_1
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:11 pm 

Thanks for the info on when the headlamp swapover occurred Serena! I wasn't sure on the year or the model (just knew they were better).

Jinglebells, thanks for the info on the bulb fitment- I'll check mine. This is common across most Hx bulbs it seems and seems to have to do with making the alignment flange and/or bulge match location properly as I've met it on other cars.

Patrick

maZZda
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:49 pm 

Guys and Girls, all headlights you use are arround 20years OLD! Years and years good service had make them less efficient.Most of the times the problem lies in the reflector itself.It may be peeling it's reflecting surface,it could be smoked from lots of burned bulbs inside, it could be the position of the bulb inside(as someone mentioned).The headlight are perfect if they are overhauled right!I opened my Koito's maybe 3 years ago(could be 4) and when i saw the reflectors behind the lenses i thought that i will have to buy new headlight.They were so badly smoked that they had become silver/yelow matt.
I just cleaned them with cotton towel and alcohol and they become like new(one of them was a bit peeled but not much to affect anything yet)Then i made my "angel eyes" daylights and put them back together.Well, then i realised what is to have good lights.Speaking of that, one friend of mine gave me 2 sets of Koito's to play with them(Blue F will have daylights soon :D ) i will post some pictures before and after i clean them and how they illuminate in the dark.

Lerch
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 8:32 am 
Moderator Offline

My Car: Vulcan

Welcome to the club! :)

Profile Facebook