It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:25 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Lobster
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:14 am 

I'm just looking to gather any info on b5 performance parts.

All my searches bring up plenty of BP or 1800 dohc inj performance parts. I understand that the BP runs a longer block than the B5. If this is correct, i assume i can eliminate using BP extractors, and off the shelf cams in my B5. I'm also assuming then the fuel rail will be longer.
However, i understand all the ancillaries are the same i.e power steer pump, alternator etc.

Can anyone just confirm this for me. I suspect this is an old chestnut, but confirmation means either i go custom($$$), or step up to the BP purely on a part availability premise(I really don't want to do this)

Thanks in advance,
Lobster

HughieW
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:43 am 
Website Admin Offline

My Car: Mazda 323F

Honestly your best/cheapest/reliable option would be to drop in the BP and have access to the various aftermarket parts. If you're sticking a BP in, you might aswell spend a bit more dosh and get a BPT or BPD if you can find one!

But yeah, I think the gearbox will bolt up to your B5 but after that - probably just ancilliaries like alternator, PS pump etc.

EDIT: Thinking about it, you might find SOME of the B6 MX-5 parts fit? :dontknow:

Profile Facebook  

HMT
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:29 am 

Hi,
so yo you run a B5 DOHC?
You can use camshafts from the MX3 and MX5 B6/B6ZE/B6D engines. For instance the MX3 uses the B5 head on a B6 block and the exhaust cam could be used for an exhintake mod.
You can also use injectors from all MX5 or 323 4cylinders, including BP although you might find that the engine will run far too rich with those.
Dont know what intake manifold your car uses, but maybe the VICS manifold and bigger throttle body from the MX3 B6D would also be an option.
As for extractors, thes might still be some around for the B6D MX3...

Lobster
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:34 am 

Yes i have allready converted the car to the dohc b5.

The mx3 ,or autozam in NZ, is an option i was not aware of. Thank you for that. What you said about the mx3 running the b5 head on the b6 block is very interesting. I have access to a complete b6d?? from a 1989 bg, badged as a GT.

As an aside, finding info on this motor has been very difficult (confusing might be a better word). b6 inj. dohc, looks identical to my b5d, and not like the b6d picture on wiki.

Would this mean the b6 head would fit on the b5 block, i.e a reverse of the mx3? I would imagine the valves would be slightly larger than the b5 valves. I understand the b6d has vics manifold and the b5 does not.

Thanks,
Lobster

Lobster
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:43 am 

Hi HughieW,

I appreciate what you are saying, however this is just my A to B work hack. My weekend car is a 317kw @wheels fd rx7, so i have no desire or need to go the turbo route.

I'm just looking to make the 323 a touch more peppy but maintain its reliabilty, driveability, and of course its ridiculously good fuel economy. I'm thinking extractors, cold air box and perhaps a mild cam upgrade.

Thanks for your input mate,
Lobster

Lobster
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:43 pm 

I wrote a reply but it appears to of disapeared, or more likey i messed up somehow. Anyhow, thanks for both your inputs. I was unaware of the mx3 running the b6, thanks for the tip off. I'm interested in what you said regarding the mx3 runs a b6 block with b5 head, as i understand the b6 had the vics manifold and the b5 does not.
Yes the engine i've allready put in is the dohc inj b5. It was originally the 1600 sohc carb job

Thanks again,
Lobster

HMT
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:41 am 

I can see 3 replies :)
Anyways, i can only tell you what i discovered since we bought the MX3 in November: Although the engine is marketed as B6 / 1,6l, the head has a "B5"-marking. It does feature a VICS manifold but overall i'm very disappointed by it. I also have a B6 SOHC BG with 88 HP instead of 107 (MX3) and the engine just feels stronger.
With the DOHC i initially expected it to be rev happy like in the MX5 but instead it doest not like to rev that much and has weak torque like my old Z5. Over all not the greatest Mazda engine...
Upside: reliable and relatively smooth copared to the BG.

HMT
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:53 pm 

HMT wrote:
I can see 3 replies :)
Anyways, i can only tell you what i discovered since we bought the MX3 in November: Although the engine is marketed as B6 / 1,6l, the head has a "B5"-marking. It does feature a VICS manifold but overall i'm very disappointed by it. I also have a B6 SOHC BG with 88 HP instead of 107 (MX3) and the engine just feels stronger.
With the DOHC i initially expected it to be rev happy like in the MX5 but instead it doest not like to rev that much and has weak torque like my old Z5. Over all not the greatest Mazda engine...
Upside: reliable and relatively smooth copared to the BG.

Today must be thread resurrection day :D
I can now put my last post into perspective.
Since we've had the B6 MX3 for a few years now, the engine livened up over time. Really no comparison to the beginnings. It's now definitely quicker than the B6 BG (tested this a couple of times) and also has sufficient low end torque for a small car.
It's not fast but I still have to take back my initial disappointment :)