It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:48 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

CSR
 Post subject: Courtesy Lights MOD
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:39 pm 

Well guys, I'm searching for some ideas and advices that you could give me... so...

My Lantis (97 BA 1.5) does not have courtesy lights from stock, insted (like many) have a plastic cover.

I had buy a set of used as you can see:

But! I dont have stock wire instalation (or at least I think I don't have)... I imagined do the wire conection by geting the source in the presence lights in the roof lamps.... so when the doors open, so will the courtesy lights will, like that lamps in the roof....

BUT!!!! the real problam is passing the wires from the car to the door itself!, cus the wires are plugged in a switch... (I hope you understand my Enlish :oops: )

so, doing that involves make some holes, and I don't like the idea of that....

but one of these days I remove the door panel in order to put some chrome handlers that I've buyed in a member of this forum, and I start thinking in something that I saw....

see this picture of the door:

Legend is in Portuguese but I translate:

Right: -Side mirror conection wires
Left above: Glass elevator wires
Left bottom: Wires to button switches

so, and that with de "?" ??????? :?: :shock:

Some friends in the PT Forum told me that some rare examples of BA had an light in the exterior door handles in order to the owner know where to put the Keys at night time or dark places....

I've never seen any BA with that and even if its true, can I use that wires someway to adapt for courtesy Lamps??? Any HelP? Advice?

Appreciate all opinions and suggestions!

Sorry for my way to write

CSR

maZZda
 Post subject: Re: Courtesy Lights MOD
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:30 am 

Check for Voltage on the connector "?" when you opened/closed door if there is present voltage when opened, just connect the cables for the light to it.If there is no current maybe you'll have to make your own cable forthe light.As i know, the + is direct to those lights, and just connecting to ground(when you opened the door) then it lights up.Try to see if there is a + who is present when the door is opened and it's gone when you closed the door. ;)

jinglebells
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:18 pm 

CSR wrote:

Some friends in the PT Forum told me that some rare examples of BA had an light in the exterior door handles in order to the owner know where to put the Keys at night time or dark places....

I've never seen any BA with that and even if its true, can I use that wires someway to adapt for courtesy Lamps??? Any HelP? Advice?

CSR

Yes indeed, my old BA had the keyhole which lights up in the dark when you lift the handle. I think many BAs have it but the owners don't know about it!!!!

However, it's no good for the puddle lamps, because the keyhole light is "powered" when the door is closed, and activated (switched on) when you lift the handle with the door locked. That's not what you want.

pitrack_1
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:41 am 

jinglebells wrote:
Yes indeed, my old BA had the keyhole which lights up in the dark when you lift the handle. I think many BAs have it but the owners don't know about it!!!!

This seems to be a Mazda feature that goes back some time, we had a 1986 Ford Telstar (Mazda 626 badge-engineer) that had the same keyhole light feature.

I don't think it was on any Oz spec models- in 1994 at least anyway- not on mine and I don't remember it from the handbook.

As for the puddle lights, you could run your own wiring- figure out whether the dome light is switch-to positive or switch-to-ground, use it to control a relay and power the puddle lights straight from the battery through a separate fuse + the relay. The puddle lights will then switch on/off with the dome light and follow its switch as well. The current draw for the relay solenoid should be relatively minimal so no overload should occur on the dome light circuit (esp if it goes through electronics). Only issue I forsee is if the dome has a fade-out feature rather than sharp switch-off, the relay may chatter as the dome fades.

Patrick

CSR
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:06 pm 

thanks for the awsers guys...

Well I think that I may not need to do all you said Patrick... I think that only do a "fusion" of wires will be all right, at least it was that way i did the spoiler braking light wire concetion, fuse the wire with the one wire of the stop light lamp of one of the tail lighs....

the problem that i find is make the wires go from the car to the door! without make any holes ... :?

maZZda
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:40 am 

CSR wrote:

Well I think that I may not need to do all you said Patrick... I think that only do a "fusion" of wires will be all right, at least it was that way i did the spoiler braking light wire concetion, fuse the wire with the one wire of the stop light lamp of one of the tail lighs....

the problem that i find is make the wires go from the car to the door! without make any holes ... :?

The stock connectors of the car's doors have empty slots.You can use them.I used steel wire to guide the cables troughtout the rubber sleves and make my own door lights with led strip underneath the door..

jinglebells
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:40 pm 

maZZda wrote:
CSR wrote:

The stock connectors of the car's doors have empty slots.You can use them.I used steel wire to guide the cables troughtout the rubber sleves and make my own door lights with led strip underneath the door..

I would add that Patrick's method is safer, whilst any "fusion" of wires is likely to put more current through wires which may not be able to take it.

maZZda
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:53 am 

jinglebells wrote:
I would add that Patrick's method is safer, whilst any "fusion" of wires is likely to put more current through wires which may not be able to take it.

I made my 4 doors with 3leds cutted strips, made my roof light with 78leds from a led strip also and the cables are not that loaded.. the current throughout them is low..
You have 3 bulbs up in tge roof light wich are 5w each..
Mazda are not stupid to put tiny wires for that consumtion.They are measured to withstand even more..
;)