It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:20 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Sayko
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:44 pm 

Hi,

2 engine technician tested. They could not find burnin oil or leaking oil.
I was using 10/40 Castrol, mobil, motul, eneos. Engine drank they all in about 1400 km 1 LT
But i started to use Mobil 5/30 FE Formula 3000 X1, Better than 10/40.

Improvement as i use 5/30 Fully Syntetic ?

pitrack_1
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:40 am 

Hi,

various suggestions:

Up to 1 litre per 1000 km is considered a 'normal' (Ha!) oil usage even for new cars. If it's burning this through the engine, you'll likely not see it. I've had a vehicle do this before.

The only other place the oil could go is the coolant and you'd notice a litre of oil in there!

Did it happen directly after an oil change? If you changed the oil, measured it then drove the car it would refill the galleries and oil filter causing an (apparent) loss of oil. Ditto not waiting 5-10 mins after stopping to check the oil level.

How many klms on the car? Any previous overheating or running out of oil or other engine issues (seizing, etc) that could cause high oil consumption?

Have a look at the spark plugs- they may tell a story esp. if one's different to the others. Ditto perhaps compression.

Yes changing oil brands/blends can cause a reduction in oil consumption. But it may cause another change in fuel consumption! Giving up 1l/1000km oil for 1l/100km fuel (can happen, does with my cars) may not make economic sense.

Changing viscosity, esp to a thinner one may result in even higher oil consumption.

Be careful varying from mineral to synthetic, some engines don't like it (don't know about the BA...anyone?).

Patrick

Sayko
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:08 am 

Sorry, Forgot to tell, i have 323f ba 1.8L. Rebuild engine.
Engine Km: 355.000

Sayko
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:48 pm 

pitrack_1 wrote:
Hi,

various suggestions:

Up to 1 litre per 1000 km is considered a 'normal' (Ha!) oil usage even for new cars. If it's burning this through the engine, you'll likely not see it. I've had a vehicle do this before.

The only other place the oil could go is the coolant and you'd notice a litre of oil in there!

Did it happen directly after an oil change? If you changed the oil, measured it then drove the car it would refill the galleries and oil filter causing an (apparent) loss of oil. Ditto not waiting 5-10 mins after stopping to check the oil level.

How many klms on the car? Any previous overheating or running out of oil or other engine issues (seizing, etc) that could cause high oil consumption?

Have a look at the spark plugs- they may tell a story esp. if one's different to the others. Ditto perhaps compression.

Yes changing oil brands/blends can cause a reduction in oil consumption. But it may cause another change in fuel consumption! Giving up 1l/1000km oil for 1l/100km fuel (can happen, does with my cars) may not make economic sense.

Changing viscosity, esp to a thinner one may result in even higher oil consumption.

Be careful varying from mineral to synthetic, some engines don't like it (don't know about the BA...anyone?).

Patrick

Hi Patrick, Thanks for the answer.

I changed viscosity of oil ( 10w40 semi syn. to 5w30 fully syn. ) and loosing oil little than 10w40. Also not high fuel consumption. Unlike now i have low fuel consumption.

Rk323f
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:13 am 

Was this shortly after the rebuild? Some engines will need a long run in period after a rebuild. If it was a poor rebuild where new piston rings were fitted to the old unprepared bores the new rings may never bed in. Using a delipena tool is also not always good enough on a glazed bore that has a very hard surface.. So unless it had a rebore and oversize pistons or resleeved then your engine may be burning the oil where it is bypassing the rings. There are msny different ways oil can enter the combustion chamber but they do not always show as smoke. Sometimes it will only show under certain load conditions and sometimes an emissions test will show up signs of oil in the combustion or oil getting into the exhaust system.