It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:32 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Dark_Jon
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 11:14 pm 
Gold Member Offline

My Car: Mazda 323F ZXi

Does any one know, or have any piccies of, what anti rattle plates a ZXi should have on the front brakes as standard?

Since changing my front pads I've had an increasingly louder rattle from the front O/S that stops the instant I press the brake pedal. I put back on what I took off (except the old pads obviously) and there were only 4 metal guides per side (2/pad) that the pads slide along, no other plates, springs or pins that I would normally expect to stop the rattling. The bolts are all torqued correctly but the floating calliper side does wobble a bit when I wiggle it and the pads do rattle somewhat, more so than the passenger side.

I've found these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272491252016? ... EBIDX%3AIT

Are they the right ones? only they don't match the EPC:

http://mazdaepc.com/parts/323F/AEBM01/W1/3310%20A/

Any help appreciated, embarrassing rattling around Kent atm :shock:

Edit - Should add it didn't make this noise before and this is the first time I've changed the pads on the front myself, last time it was new discs, pads and N/S calliper done after an MOT failure couple of years ago. It also brakes dead straight, no pulling to either side, and there are no squeaks or anything I'd normally expect without any anti-rattle stuff

nafre
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 9:23 pm 

As far as I remember the brakes on the zxi are not the same as the lower models. Are you sure they are the zxi brake pads? Please correct me if I'm wrong but last I read (few years ago) the zxi has quite a few upgrades here and there to deal with the extra power and weight.

brucey76
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 7:33 pm 

Sounds strange, it could just be slightly miss-shaped pads but the floating caliper has me wondering. When I change my front pads, I clean the 2 sliders and apply some copper slip grease the full length before they go into the rubber housing in the calipers. Yes the slip in ok but they feel really tight and given the age of our cars now I wonder if your rubber parts have thinned a little. Another thing if the pads are sitting loose in the bracket without the caliper on would be beef the bracket up with some hammerite where no doubt some surface rust and wear n tear has taken half a mil away and caused excess play

nafre
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 7:59 pm 

There's only two guides on my zxi. I took pictures of them but photobucket doesn't like me so I can't show you. See if you can rattle the pads or the caliper hardware

Dark_Jon
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 11:03 pm 
Gold Member Offline

My Car: Mazda 323F ZXi

I've had the wheel off again this weekend and it seems like its the floating part of the calliper that rattles rather than the pads, feels a fair bit loser in it's sliders than the other side (which was replaced a couple of years ago). Pads are EBC and definitely for the ZXi (or as listed - Mazda 323f 1994-1998 2.0 24v), and they fitted in pretty snuggly on both sides. Looks like another calliper is on the cards then :roll:

Thanks for the input both

nafre
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 11:11 pm 

No problem. We do like to keep our metal friends running optimal. I'm glad you found the issue. Are you definitely unable to reconditioned /tighten them?

Mazdacustoms
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:07 pm 

Sorry for jumping Info this topic, nur I probably have a similar issue on my V6.

Does anyone know where to order the Anti-Rattle springs and Bits new?
Same with the caliper reconditioning kit....

Seems Parts like those are more and more vanishing...

I'd be also in need of the metal dust shields from front axle.

Heard those are not even available at mazda...