It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:42 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

paul323f
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:07 pm 

People always ask but I've never seen a guide. This will be a verbal guide as I have no photos. There are many different opinions on this but I will tell you what works and what I know doesn't. Pre and post ford V6's apparantly have different rear struts. My vehicle is pre so please keep this in mind.

Front wheels fit without spacers, rear wheels do not! I got some 8mm spacers for the rear. The wheels did not rub when the car was jacked up and span freely, however when car was on the ground it rubbed! I also found that 45 profile tyres caught on the strut with 8mm spacers fitted but 40 profile tyres didn't.

I now have 20mm hubcentric bolt-on spacers on the rear with 40mm profile tyres, along with a 40mm spring drop and it doesn't appear to be rubbing anywhere :D
With the 20mm bolt on spacers I found that the studs protruded through the spacer so I had to grind down the studs by 8mm.

How I ground down studs:

1 - Remove 20mm spacer
2 - Fit nuts that hold bolt on spacer to studs
3 - Fit 8mm spacer over studs and move nuts so that the studs are flush with the front of the spacer
4 - Use paint pen to mark where the top of the nuts are (after removing 8mm spacer)
5 - Screw nuts all the way on to hub (if you try to take them off you will remove paint and you may not be able to get nut back on after grinding)
6 - Use the grinder to grind the studs back down to the line (do not use a cutting disc as this could ruin thread)
7 - Remove nuts (Careful they may still be hot)
8 - Fit spacer
9 - Bolt it on tight
10 - Fit wheel

Information you need when ordering spacers:

Hubcentric Spacer 20mm Quantity 1 pair (2)
Stud pattern - 5 x 114.3
Centre Bore - 67.1mm
Stud size M12 x 1.5

Tyre size I advise 225/40/18

The front wheels don't need spacers, however I may fit the 8mm spacers at a later date just because I have them available! You could get away with a slightly smaller spacer for the rears but 20mm work so why not just use them!

The spacers I used are from Kode available on Ebay for £59.99, or if you have some extra cash floating about Superforma will custom make a set for you www.superforma.co.uk