It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:16 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Vic_NG17
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:45 pm 

I've had a lot of MOT work done this week and the last job was to install a new nearside rear shock. I did the spanner work and got it off and a guy I know who works at a garage removed the coli spring and set-up my new shock. As he was doing so, I said to him 'Doesn't that metal cap go on the rubber (on the shock)?' To which he replied, 'No, that's why the last one broke because that came off.'

I didn't agree with this and thought it was part of the old dust cover kit I was re-using. Now yesterday, I hit a hole in the road and heard a snap. I thought 'That new shock has just gone!'

Here's a pic of what's happened;

It looks like the metal cap I mentioned maybe sat on top of the rubber bung on the dust cover kit and stopped it poking out of the top mount like it has done!'

Has the mechanic made a big mistake or has something else happened? I need to get this sorted asap...

brucey76
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:01 pm 

that looks drastic. did you change the mounting at the same time? It looks quite new. Mine rusted around the neck when it broke but wasnt as bad as that. from memory it went spring to rubber ring to mounting. inner section was strut to mounting which has hard rubber inside with a metal plate and then securing nut all covered by rubber dome or cap

brucey76
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:11 pm 

this might help

Attachments:
HTB1hHe9IFXXXXbdXVXXq6xXFXXX1.jpg
HTB1hHe9IFXXXXbdXVXXq6xXFXXX1.jpg [ 72.74 KiB | Viewed 5464 times ]

brucey76
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:18 pm 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rear-Left-Str ... XQrhdTTzoz
I think this is the part you will need but please check I've got the correct side and vehicle.

Vic_NG17
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:16 am 

It's a brand new shock absorber. There was a metal cap that went on top of the rubbers beneath the dust cover on the shock absorber (like an upside down cup with a hole through the center). It looks like part 28-809 above. The mechanic didn't put it back as he said it was not needed. I said I thought it was needed but let him get on with it as I assumed he knew what he was on about. Then, this happens! I'm certain if the metal cover/cap had gone on top of the rubber (on the shock) then this could not have happened...

brucey76
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:02 pm 

you may be right, I looks like is just sits above the bellow and probably also serves to spread the pressure across the top mount plate. Do you still have the old parts? you may be able to get the rubber pressed back in and the cup fitted this time. I'd feel more assured with a new strut mount.

maZZda
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:23 pm 

Get a new top mount. Don't go to that mechanic again!!!
Buy or make your own spring brackets.. or if you have friend with you,you don't need brackets :wink:

Vic_NG17
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:07 pm 

maZZda wrote:
Get a new top mount. Don't go to that mechanic again!!!
Buy or make your own spring brackets.. or if you have friend with you,you don't need brackets :wink:

I thought the problem was the shock not the top mount? I'll have more of an idea at the garage tomorrow :)

HughieW
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:10 pm 
Website Admin Offline

My Car: Mazda 323F

That metal plate you're talking about that goes on the top of the rubber - it's about 3mm thick, slightly cupped in shape, and has a hole in the centre with a flat edge? Yeah that's definitely needed!!!

Where abouts in the UK are you? I'd avoid that mechanic in future if I were you!!

Profile Facebook  

Vic_NG17
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:53 am 

I'm in Kirkby in Ashfield, Nottingham. Yes, that's the cup/plate thing...

HughieW
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:24 pm 
Website Admin Offline

Ahh if you were closer to me I'd have said just bring your car down and we'll sort it :(

That cup plate thing is DEFINITELY needed!

Profile Facebook  

Vic_NG17
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:26 pm 

HughieW wrote:
Ahh if you were closer to me I'd have said just bring your car down and we'll sort it :(

That cup plate thing is DEFINITELY needed!

That is so good of you to offer! Thanks :D

OK, it wasn't the cup plate I was thinking of (that was a metal cup for the dust cover)! However, the problem was my fault. Between the top-mount and shock, there should be a washer (or plate) beneath the rubber that goes through the top-mount (the washer stops the rubber popping out). I somehow must have missed seeing this washer when I removed the strut last week (I removed it wrongly by undoing the strut bolt and not the 3 x mount bolts) so it was never put back in place when we put the new shock/coil-spring together! When re-fitted without the washer between the mount/shock, with a couple of days driving, the rubber has pushed through the top mount and the shock stem with it.

I managed to drive it from K-in-A to Long Eaton on the back-roads this morning and have now fixed it by popping the rubber back into position and replacing a thick tight-fitting washer between the shock stem & the mount! Took a bit of work to get the rubber back through the mount using a few strategically placed sockets either side of the mount is a heavy duty vice but I managed :P It's all good now.

On the neg side, I'm now over 10 days since my MOT so I now have to pay for another full MOT tomorrow :( But, on the plus side, I'm also going to fit the cambelt/water-pump as soon as it's passed...

maZZda
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:03 pm 

I'm glad you sorted it out! 8)

Vic_NG17
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:04 am 

Fitting a cambelt kit & waterpump today plus a full service :P

HughieW
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:11 am 
Website Admin Offline

:thumbleft: Good luck!

Profile Facebook  

Vic_NG17
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:09 pm 

All done! Was a bit fiddly getting behind the alternator to remove the mount but managed it all (I removced the alternator. New cambelt, roller, tensioner, tensioner spring, auxiliary belts and waterpump! Also, oil, filters (oil / air), plugs, coolant done. Quite enjoyed doing it but wouldn't want to do it regularly :P

Arnie
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:40 am 

This is why I do all my servicing. Am close to you if you need any assistance. NG5

Vic_NG17
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:51 am 

Arnie wrote:
This is why I do all my servicing. Am close to you if you need any assistance. NG5

Yes, I do my own (MOT's/services/cam-belts). Nice to know, thanks :)