It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 4:08 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

pitrack_1
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:54 pm 

Hi guys, a bit of a new experience for me here- suspension work!

A bit of advice would be appreciated, and any good hints and tips.

Here goes (gulp):

1) rear shock remplacement. Does this basically proceed à la some posts elesewhere by HughieW in "Noisy Rear Suspension" and Jamez100189 in "BA 1.5 Mazda 323F - Rear shock dismantle/ rebuild"? Note for safety's sake I'll have the suspension shop swap over the springs for me, they'll also check the bump stops and top mounts at the same time.

2) Once I get the struts out, I assume simply unbolting the rear sway bar mounts should just drop it off so I can bolt it back on with the new ones?

Other queries:
Can I use WD40 to loosen the bolts? We don't have the rust problems you guys do in the UK.
Are there any particular lubricants or materials I should use during reassembly, e.g. grease on the bolts or bushes?
Any particular tools required? I have standard ⅜" sockets plus spanners + other general tools.

Thanks,
Patrick

Dark_Jon
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:52 pm 
Gold Member Offline

My Car: Mazda 323F ZXi

I'd say the "Rear shock dismantle/ rebuild thread is spot on. The only thing I think extra on mine was another bolt holding the ABS wire bracket in place, but I guess that depends if you have discs or drums on the rear.

I replaced the whole lot except the springs; so shock, top mount, drop links, bump stop and dust cover. The bump stop and dust cover were about £20 for a pair. I also bought my own pair of spring compressors, really easy to use; clamp em on, tighten up and pull the spring down. Then it's easy to change over the top mount, a single nut. Just take note of which way it lines up before dismantling to make sure the new mount goes on the same else your studs and holes in the body wont line up (you only do that once......)

I believe the rear sway bar mounts do indeed simply unbolt, the front one I believe requires dropping the front subframe down a bit?

WD40 for loosening is good, but give it time to penetrate. A good penetrating oil is even better. Just avoid getting the stuff on the rear brakes, especially if you do have discs!!. When reassembling I use a little smear of copper grease on my bolts. As for the bushes, not sure tbh, unless they're v-stiff to get on then just use washing up liquid, worked with getting my poly exhaust mounts on.

Aside from spring compressors no special tools that I can recall though I'd recommend a torque wrench if you don't have one, you should use one anyway when reassembling. Oh, and a world of patience combined with a good sprinkling of rude words when it comes to removing those b@$#@%d drop links :evil:

pitrack_1
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:42 pm 

Thanks, Dark_Jon.

The parts haven't all arrived so I won't be collecting them until about the 28th.

Thanks for the tips on torque wrench, penetrating oil and copper grease. However washing up detergent promotes rust so maybe I'll use the car wash detergent instead.

Our vehicles get the disc brakes but without ABS... on a supposedly somewhat upmarket car there were mutterings in the press about that even back in 1994!

I'm going to be a wuss and wimp out on the spring compression. Not only did the suspension place's eyes go wide when I mentioned it ("don't use those clamp type ones!" was the unsolicited comment) but there's at least one video on Youtube showing a professional(?) having a spring break loose. Also one of my friends, who (when I'm around) I often 'counsel' about the safety implications of what he's about to do/not do has described to me "I was doing up the clamp and suddenly the spring wasn't there anymore." He didn't even see it depart, but he knew he was damn lucky he didn't depart also.

pitrack_1
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:30 am 

Hi, can anyone give me the torque values for reassembly please? I can't quickly find the Haynes manual- I'll have to order it online.

Values will be for
  • strut top mounts bolts
  • strut top-shock bolt (centre)
  • strut bottom mount bolts
  • sway bar link bolts
  • sway bar mount bolts
  • anything else you think I've forgotten

Thanks!
Pitrack_1

pitrack_1
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:29 am 

Tried getting things off today. Used Permatex 'super penetrant' on all bolts. It was all I could do just to get the 14mm sway bar link ball joint nut to move- required hammer persuasion on the ratchet handle to start then simply by fingers thereafter.

Near side rear shock definitely has some strange red material coming out of it.

Tried a 17mm of the bottom mount- hammer and all- all that's happened is the nut is actually warping. :evil:

All threads ok and clean, it's just a matter of the nuts being cold welded, corroded on, over tightened or something. Even the wheel nuts, although well lubricated, were over tight- some screeched upon loosening.

Given up and booked in to have it done by the guys getting the bits...can't be done until Jan 4th.

pitrack_1
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:32 pm 

Done. Much improved.