HughieW
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:53 pm 
Website Admin Offline

My Car: Mazda 323F

(Y)

Profile Facebook  

Pinkers
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:28 pm 

Thanks guys - the mechanic re-greased and re-used the old bearings as they weren't included in the 'strut repair kit' I bought :|

That's interesting about light steering maZZda - my steering is quite heavy actually. Do these look right, they look a bit cheap and nasty? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-2x-Mazda ... XQbcRQ4tD6

maZZda
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:51 pm 

They look the same as the original ones.As sizes i don't know.But if you find metal axial bearings this will give you the best lightness in the steering wheel, better than new plastic ones.
But that will be a custom or DIY job.
I have somewhere in my pile of old parts maybe four of those plastic bearings.Used, but had no problems with them to the day i switched to coilovers and they are sittind ever since.If you like i can give(send them to you) to try with them if you dont want to buy new ones.But the sending price could be more than new ones!? I don't know.
As i don't think i'll switch back to stock shocks, i don't need the bearings and i give them to you for free.
That is if you want ofcourse..

Pinkers
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:19 pm 

Thanks mate, that's really generous of you, but I think I will be best buying new ones. There was no issue with mine either until the springs were changed, so maybe something to do with them being used in one place for years, and then re-used in a slightly different position when put back together? I reckon more used ones might have the same problem. The car is driving fine anyway, and it only happens at very low speeds, so I think I will leave them alone for now. Spent a fortune on future-proofing lately with full underbody rust treatment and all new suspension, brakes, custom exhaust and still have a couple of others jobs to finish off. I will get some barings ordered though so that I can get them done if it gets any worse. Thanks again for your help :)