It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:49 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Neil Pearce
 Post subject: Photo issues.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:46 am 

Hi all. I am trying to put my Mazda 323f up for sale on your site. The site will not accept my photos as it says they are too large a file. I use a Sony Xperia Z1 tablet and can not get the file size down low enough. Any solutions?

N.P.

Lerch
 Post subject: Re: Photo issues.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:06 pm 
Moderator Offline

My Car: Vulcan

Hi Neil,

Most of us use hosting sites such as photobucket to upload photo's on the forum threads. They automatically re-size your pictures and make it easier for you to upload them via links.

Alternatively, you can download photo editing apps via the android app store to re-size photos. Not sure what it's called but I have one on my Samsung tablet that works :thumbleft:

Profile Facebook  

Steve Zodiac & Robbie
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:21 pm 

If you get stuck mail me some and I'll bung them on my Photobucket or Flickr account, not using them for much else! :D

Neil Pearce
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:47 pm 

Thanks for the replies so far. I have downloaded Photobucket and will give it a go tomorrow. If no success then I will have to take up your kind offer, Steve z & Robbie.

N.P.

marshymob
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:43 pm 
Gold Member Offline

My Car: Julie - 1994 BA

Photobucket and Flickr are being an a**e, any other ones that are forum friendly?

Profile Facebook  

SerenaJ
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:03 pm 
Gold Member Offline

My Car: '97 GXi - 'Sundance'

marshymob wrote:
Photobucket and Flickr are being an a**e, any other ones that are forum friendly?

Imgur has become the service of choice since Photobucket cut off everyone's photos a few weeks ago - I've had no issues with it so far, and upload is far quicker than Photobucket :thumbright:

S

NOT lowered and staying that way!

Maintenance thread here << will restore images in August

pitrack_1
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:02 am 

SerenaJ wrote:
marshymob wrote:

Imgur has become the service of choice since Photobucket cut off everyone's photos a few weeks ago - I've had no issues with it so far, and upload is far quicker than Photobucket :thumbright:

S

To be honest I've not looked at imgur (yet) because I fear they will simply follow the same path and it'll be a wasted effort.

My worry is Imgur will simply follow the same tactic as the others- it seems Photobucket has probably been very successful at divesting itself of non-profitable users. Youtube and others funded through ad placement but that doesn't seem available with simple image hosting. If we all move to imgur they'll have to do the same, the overhead must be considerable. Or is their business model different?

My photos are backed up on my PC, conveniently organised, named and saved in various resolutions ' cos I'm one of those a**l-retentive buggers! :badgrin: However I have a considerable number of threads here and elsewhere and I don't think it's worthwhile updating them all...even if I can remember which photo goes exactly where. :roll:

Patrick

maZZda
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:29 am 

When/if imgur follows the path of photobucket we will simply find another free upload site.. ;)
I too hold my cards close(keep all my pics on my pc) and share only 1/10 of them..
S.it, i have alot of pictures.. sometimes when i opened the directory i wait more than a half a minute.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

SerenaJ
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:15 am 
Gold Member Offline

My Car: '97 GXi - 'Sundance'

pitrack_1 wrote:
My worry is Imgur will simply follow the same tactic as the others

They might, but in the meantime we still need a service from which to upload images to the forum for display. As Mazzda says, if Imgur were to follow suit then we find another option - unless we were individually happy enough with Imgur's service to pay them for it. It's a moving situation.

I understand that there are operating costs, and I'll happily pay if the service is good and the cost reasonable for the service I'm getting. However in Photobucket's case the user interface was a nightmare and was partially inoperative, and the cost they demanded without any warning whatsoever was ludicrous. They may have gained a few paying users, but they've done it via blackmail - because that's precisely what cutting off photos and then demanding money for their return amounts to (particularly as the site's download function doesn't work, so you can't even move the photos elsewhere!!). Not the actions of a trustworthy business with its reputation and a long term future in mind (maybe they're planning to fold in 18 months anyway, I don't know). And how many more long term users - e.g. me - would have happily accepted their new payment model if they'd acted reasonably and not like highwaymen? :doubt:

S

NOT lowered and staying that way!

Maintenance thread here << will restore images in August

Lerch
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:16 pm 
Moderator Offline

My Car: Vulcan

I will stick with Imgur for a while at least - seems to work fine and the mobile app works so much better than photobuckets did!

Profile Facebook  

jinglebells
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:39 pm 

Neil Pearce wrote:
Hi all. I am trying to put my Mazda 323f up for sale on your site. The site will not accept my photos as it says they are too large a file. I use a Sony Xperia Z1 tablet and can not get the file size down low enough. Any solutions?

N.P.

One trick we use a lot is to load the photo into something like PowerPoint (or Open Office) and then save the slide as a .jpg (or Export to jpg in Open Office). This keeps the quality reasonable but brings the size down to one you can load up. It's a bit labour intensive, but you don't need a special app for this trick.