It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:00 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules - Please read!

PLEASE READ THE FULL BUYING AND SELLING RULES HERE - The use of the Buying and Selling sections indicates that you have read these rules and agree with them

Cyclepath
 Post subject: ABS for ZXi - urgent
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:29 pm 

Hi everyone,

So I scrapped my old car.....3 weeks before my other one failed the MOT!!! Just typical!

It is currently sitting at the garage (they have lent me a Corrolla....but really it aint quite a 323 is it!)

Does anyone have or know where I can get an ABS unit?

The numbers on the unit read: Bc4c437a0 and 6x30-30217

The current best bet according to the garage is a refurb one for between 1-200 quid which would be ok if it wasnt for the fact that the car now has a new exhaust (the old one literally fell off 2 days before Christmas), new discs and pads all round and this is getting very bloody expensive.

andym323
 Post subject: Re: ABS for ZXi - urgent
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:29 pm 
Club Secretary Offline

My Car: Meanie

Dude, which ABS part is it, the great big ally block under the bonnet or the ABS computer (can't access the EPS at work)

May all your F'ing dreams come true! (lottery won and a miracle wouldn't go amiss!!!)

I got hooooooles, they're multiplying :(

And nice shiny new V6 to play with

brucey76
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:59 pm 

was the abs ok before the new disks and pads? a sensor could be damaged or dirty. Also check the fault codes just incase.
Diagnostic Trouble Codes are as follows, short tbs and gnd
05 - Brake Switch open circuit
11 - Right Front Wheel Speed Sensor Open circuit or Short to power supply
12 - Left Front Wheel Speed Sensor Open circuit or Short to power supply
13 - Right Rear Wheel Speed Sensor Open circuit or Short to power supply
14 - Left Rear Wheel Speed Sensor Open circuit or Short to power supply
15 - Wheel Speed Sensor, Sensor Rotor
22 - Front Right Solenoid Valve Signal (AV)
23 - Front Right Solenoid Valve Signal (EV)
24 - Front Left Solenoid Valve Signal (AV)
25 - Front Left Solenoid Valve Signal (EV)
26 - Rear Solenoid Valve Signal (AV)
27 - Rear Solenoid Valve Signal (EV)
41 - Right Front Wheel Speed Sensor Rotor Short to ground or Disagreement with other sensors is detected
42 - Left Front Wheel Speed Sensor Rotor Short to ground or Disagreement with other sensors is detected
43 - Right Rear Wheel Speed Sensor Rotor Short to ground or Disagreement with other sensors is detected
44 - Left Rear Wheel Speed Sensor Rotor Short to ground or Disagreement with other sensors is detected
51 - Valve Relay fault
53 - Motor monitor fault
61 - ABS Control Module fault
63 - ABS Module Power Supply Malfunction

To clear DTC, allow all codes to be output (flash codes repeat) then with ignition switch still on, press and release the brake pedal 10 times at less than 1 second intervals

brucey76
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:07 pm 

i had to clear my codes, run the car up and down the street to see if a code appeared then re-checked. my rear right sensor was faulty and caused the abs pump to run constantly.(which killed my battery) and caused multiple codes to appear. Only after a short run and catching the initial fault on its own, I was able to fix it my £200+ bill turned into an £18.50 one. I hope you're as lucky as I was

Cyclepath
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:04 pm 

Hi everyone, thanks for the replies...where to start...

There was a bit of a grinding noise coming from the front near before the MOT so I asked the garage to look at that, they then replaced the disks and pads because they were shot anyway. Then the rear offside caliper started binding, but they couldn't find anything wrong (this one was a refurb from a few years back..or was it the other car...I lose track). A little while later, the two front ones started giving issues, leading to the conclusion that it was the ABS.

So far, apparently its been off the car and on the bench, and they have concluded it is bust.

I have no idea if your suggestions have also been tried.... I am not a mechanic :(

I am now seriously contemplating getting the car back home and getting something else whilst I wonder what the f**%k to do.

The car is in seriously good condition (ok minor issues, but it still looks nice), I love driving it and its becoming a rarity so I really want to keep it on the road.

pitrack_1
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:27 pm 

We had a similar issue with a (much newer) car at work 2-3 years ago. The brakes would occasionally bind whilst the car was stationary before releasing after a second or two. It first caught me out trying to turn left onto an uphill section of 100km/h rd- once it bound I aborted the turn. As it was a turbo diesel, I thought it was turbo lag. later it did it a couple of time to me in the car park. First I thought it was my driving, then I thought I was going crazy. Trying to reverse with reverse engaged (clunk!) under full throttle and not moving.... then back to idle and in a sec or two, off it moves by itself...

...finally reported it and went back to the dealer where it turns out it was a known, if slightly rare, issue with this model- a faulty master cylinder. Master cylinder (unsure if this was perhaps twinned with the ABS) was replaced and the problem went away (but slovenly takeoff from standstill due to turbo lag and transmission staring in 2 remained).

Patrick

Cyclepath
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:20 pm 

The garage is convinced it is the ABS and not the master cylinder, which is a shame as they have actually got those and calipers on the Ford Probe store. Unfortunately they don't have an ABS.

They are going to send me a picture of the offending part and then I will post it here....maybe someone has one....?

brucey76
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:42 pm 

Could do with play by play account of the problems here.
1. front disk and pads replaced due to completely worn.
2 rear starts binding ( same day? week or 2 later?)
3 fronts playing up? binding grinding locking up?
4 any ABS light on?

Abs unit self tests the system Every time you turn on the ignition. It will also report itself not functioning.
Abs job is not to apply brake pressure its job is to release pressure when it detects brakes locking up.

Now if the fault you have is brakes binding on around your car (fine when cold/ first move off) but bind on after a stop or 2 then release again when its been stood for 10 15mins then you have a damaged brake line/s. The culprit is the rubber hose or hoses from the copper line to caliper. The braiding inside the rubber tubing is damaged so under braking the rubber tubing blebs internally and so the caliper doesn't release properly, which after 1 stop causes a slight bind creating heat, heat expands the brake fluid causing more binding until full on braking with no pedal press. left for 10 to 15 min cool down and slow drain back into system and hey presto no fault to be seen.

Thats only if the fault is binding on. you've never actually said what the fault is

brucey76
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:52 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHOBVWHFuzs

Cyclepath
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:28 pm 

Hi, thanks for the replies.

I had noticed that when it had been standing a while, a day or two, sometimes overnight that there would be a groan/creak on backing out of the drive. There was also a front passenger side grinding sound on braking that sounded like metal on metal, or a bit of grit or something inside. That too was intermittent. No warning lights have come on. However, there is a loose connection in the dash somewhere and I wouldn't entirely trust it.

I have pictures, but he sent them via whatsapp so I can't download them. Needless to say it is rusted to hell but looks a lot like this

https://www.autotronics.co.uk/images/de ... 1466076336

This is a company in Leicester that offer a refurb for around £250, I am getting a quote. But, like you guys indicate, I am not 100% sure that it is the problem, but as I am clueless...

At least the garage are still letting me keep the Corrola.

andym323
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:03 pm 
Club Secretary Offline

Rusted ABS rotors can be an issue, I'd check them all and make sure they are clean, rust build up can definitely cause problems!

May all your F'ing dreams come true! (lottery won and a miracle wouldn't go amiss!!!)

brucey76
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:46 am 

thats the abs pump in the pic. and it will throw you an abs light if failed. I would definitely clean and lubricate all calipers and replace the flexi brake lines. I'd honestly think you'd be throwing your money away on the pump replacement. If you had the car you could simply remove the fuse for abs which would throw you an abs code and settle the trust issue with the dashboard. Andy is right about rust causing problems in that the sensor cant read the rotor speeds but again would throw an abs light and tell you which wheel it couldn't read

Pinkers
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:03 pm 

This doesn't sound like an ABS pump problem, and I've never had one fail. Binding problems are caused by sticking calipers, not an ABS pump.
You didn't mention the condition of your front calipers, how old are they? Calipers are well known on these cars for getting sticky and need regular maintenance and eventually replacement. You mention the rear calipers may have been off your breaker or a refurb. Again, not a surprise if it's sticking then. I'd make sure they are ok before spending on an ABS pump, which you or the garage can do by unplugging the ABS and trying out the brakes.

Bruceys suggestion of brake lines is a good one too.

On a side note, I would highly recommend steering clear of buying anything from Mark Colgan at Probestore. He owes many people money on various car forums for parts that never arrive.

Cyclepath
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:40 pm 

Well, its done....ish

The garage managed to get a 2nd hand pump for £60 and its up and running

but....I am sure the front brakes are still binding intermittently. I intend to run it around for a week and then take the little bugger back if its still making that faint hooooooooooooo noise as I slow to a stop...but of course, not all the time!

andym323
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:36 pm 
Club Secretary Offline

Glad to hear you're mobile again, keep us updated dude :)

pitrack_1
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:26 pm 

Good to hear you've got the ABS unit sorted and for a reasonable price! :thumbright:
Cyclepath wrote:
I intend to run it around for a week and then take the little bugger back if its still making that faint hooooooooooooo noise as I slow to a stop...but of course, not all the time!

I've just replaced the brake pads on a Mazda 3 (wiith Bendix Euro) and bled the system. I ended up with the same noise. In spite of the pad blurb saying "doesn't need bedding in" due to the u-beaut woo-ha never-need-to-bed-in-again Titanium stripe, I found going out and bedding in the pads solved the issue- Find a quiet road and do 5-10 accelerations to 100km/h (60mph) followed by a hard(ish) stop. I built up from a moderate stop fist up to where the ABS was working. Release the pedal almost as soon as you stop or you can (apparently) warp the discs if they're hot. Don't be too gentle, full throttle to 100km/h then hard on the brakes (maybe first moderately hard) and repeat.

Before the bedding in procedure but after a few 100 gentle braking km on the new pads, due to noise (see below) I pulled the pads off one rear wheel and found the pads were just touching at a corner and the bed-in blue titanium stripe hadn't been used up at all.

Bedding in may also be necessary as you have said you replaced the discs too and it will help condition the pad surface to the friction material as well.

Another technique to reduce noise is to chamfer the leading and trailing edges of the pads.

Check you're not missing any shims or they're not damaged/worn out. Clean and lubricate them if you have some.

Last solution is the goo that gets applied to the back of the pads to absorb the noise.

Cyclepath wrote:
but....I am sure the front brakes are still binding intermittently.

This may be a different issue, e.g problems with the calipers. However before I bedded in my pads as above I also had problems with the slightest bit of brake drag- not enough to get the brakes hot in 15km but enough to just make a high pitched singing/zinging at 90km/h on the highway. The sound would come and go with slight variances in camber or turning so I figured it was a pad *just* touching. No issues since bedding in procedure.

Good luck!
Patrick