It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:41 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

JWalshe
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:54 am 

Hi all,

I'd like to replace some dash bulbs and need to know how to remove the heater switch panel and instrument panel.

Anyone know where all the screws are? Or is it all a hellhole of plastic clips? :-)

Thanks loads,

James

SerenaJ
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:49 pm 
Gold Member Offline

My Car: BA '97 GXi, BA '98 ZXi

Hi James

It's a pretty easy job to get off the plastics to look at the clock, heater panel etc.; mainly screws. I can remember most of the first part but other club members will need to jump in if I've missed anything as I can't recall every detail!

Sequence: remove end panel, lower panel below the steering wheel, top panel around the wheel = gives you access to clock, dials etc.

Firstly, if you look to the right of the steering wheel you'll see the dash is split into an upper and lower panel, and then on the end of the dash there's another, flat panel (flush with the door).

You need to get a thin blade into the crack around the edge of that flat end panel, apply some pressure and carefully pop that panel off. It might need a bit of force but it will eventually pop off (see positions of clips etc. below). Careful not to scratch the plastic - easily done.

Side panel:

Back of panel - 1 & 2, hooks; 3 & 4, clips; 5, metal spring clip

Behind that, there are two screws that secure the lower panel.

Lower panel, front:

Lower panel, side - screw positions circled:

The lower panel can then be pulled off - it's kind of hooked on in 4 places. Basically just pull this panel off. Two of the fasteners are catches, the others are just hooks. I think you either pull down the top of the panel and then the bottom unhooks, or vice-versa. It will take quite a tug, but don't be afraid of damaging it.

Lower panel, back - 1 & 2 - hooks, 3 & 4 clips:

Close-up of one of the clips: it's just a plastic fastener:

The hooks:

(No I didn't take these off my car, I just happened to have a spare panel in a box in my hall!! :lol: )

Then there are 2-4 fairly obvious screws underneath securing the top panel, which should just pull up and forward. That will give you access to the clock, dash switches etc., basically everything down to and including the radio. You can take it off completely, or just pull it up/forward a bit if you only need to get in behind the dash switches (you should be able to get your hand in behind there - in fact if I remember correctly that might even be possible without undoing the top panel at all).

There are four(?) screws holding the clock in, and it's also plugged in behind with 3 long electrical connectors/plugs.

It's pretty obvious which clock bulb is which, just pull them out.

If you need to get at anything lower than that, i.e. to remove the plastics around the cig lighter and gear stick, you'll first need to take out the plastic part between the seats which covers the handbrake and includes the storage box. That's dead easy too, just a couple of screws. Shout if you need to know how.

S

EDITED - to include pics of side panel

"She'll hold together. (Please baby, hold together)"

'Sundance' maintenance thread here (BA 1.5 GXi) - Proudly un-lowered!
'Butch' maintenance thread here (BA 2.0 V6 ZXi SE) - Now with power steering. Oooooh.

Last edited by SerenaJ on Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JWalshe
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:58 pm 

Outstanding! Cheers S! Great guide - thank you so much!

James

SerenaJ
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:31 pm 
Gold Member Offline

My Car: BA '97 GXi, BA '98 ZXi

No worries :thumbleft:

If you need OEM part numbers, or to get a better idea of what goes where, there is also a Mazda parts catalogue free online -

http://mazdaepc.com/parts/323F/

As well as the part numbers in detail, it gives you basic schematics for the 323F - often highly useful.

S

"She'll hold together. (Please baby, hold together)"

'Sundance' maintenance thread here (BA 1.5 GXi) - Proudly un-lowered!
'Butch' maintenance thread here (BA 2.0 V6 ZXi SE) - Now with power steering. Oooooh.

pitrack_1
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:55 pm 

Quote:
Sequence: remove end panel, lower panel below the steering wheel, top panel around the wheel = gives you access to clock, dials etc. (etc, pics, etc)

...And another great post/guide by Serena! :thumbright:

Patrick

JWalshe
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:13 pm 

Job done! This guide was brilliant - thanks so much. It made the job so much easier.

Happy easter!

James