It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:49 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

chrisnz
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:26 am 

Hi there, I've had the Lantis off the road for a few months. Emptied coolant today, replaced it, started the engine, let it run a bit. Squeezed the hoses - yikes, that top one feels a bit solid...?

Opened it up, what the hell do I find but some kind of mystery polystyrene-looking french fry - any ideas what the HELL it's doing in my cooling system ?!

http://imgur.com/a/duTFX

pitrack_1
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:23 pm 

Wow! Never seen something like that before- at least not in a cooling system! :badgrin:

If that's in the top radiator hose I'm going to hazard a guess that it's the wax pellet out of your thermostat. Not that I've ever seen one!

Firstly, not sure of the engine layout.

To get to the top radiator hose and be an un-foreign body it can only have come out of the engine or the very top of the radiator. Hence, thermostat which is usually the last thing before the top radiator hose. If it came through the water pump it would have been chewed up.

Pick a cold night for a driver and see if the engine now runs cold, or worse, hot- in which case be prepared to use the heater and blower fan on full-bore as an 'emergency' radiator and take it eeeeeasy driving back.

Quick test of the pellet would be to put it in in a zip-lock bag and immerse in boiling water and see if it melts.

Patrick

SerenaJ
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:04 pm 
Gold Member Offline

My Car: BA '97 GXi, BA '98 ZXi

What the holy ---- !! :shock:

Blimey, Chris, are you sure a mate hasn't dropped a chocolate bar into your expansion tank for a "laugh"?!
Patrick, that wouldn't fit in the spare BA thermostat I have in my toolbox. The thermostat is round, for a start ... :scratch:

I'm trying to find a photo of something similar, but can't.

S

Edit: just realised that of course it wouldn't fit through the tube from the tank to the rad ... so if it was a prank it was a very thorough one involving removing hoses :p

Chris, I'm still :shock: ... keep us informed if you solve it!

"She'll hold together. (Please baby, hold together)"

'Sundance' maintenance thread here (BA 1.5 GXi) - Proudly un-lowered!
'Butch' maintenance thread here (BA 2.0 V6 ZXi SE) - Now with power steering. Oooooh.

chrisnz
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:27 am 

Hi guys, absolutely no idea. I remember trying to scour my expansion tank with raw rice a while back - maybe some got left in there? I can't believe it though...

I've got a KF-ZE V6 2.0L. To be honest, the flow of coolant has always confused me. The thermostat is connected to the bottom rad hose, so does that mean that the coolant is flowing around the engine until the thermostat opens, then pushed down the rad hose and "up-left" through the radiator into the top rad hose? If it's this way, then maybe something had solidified at the top of the radiator in a rectangular section and just got pushed into the top rad hose.

Or, when the thermostat opens, does the "cold" coolant in the bottom of the rad hose get pulled through the engine, which allows the "hot" coolant which has just been kicking around the top rad hose to move "down-right" through the radiator and into the bottom rad hose.. But no, that can't possibly be the way it works, otherwise the thermostat's going to keep closing..