It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:04 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

SerenaJ
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:18 pm 
Gold Member Offline

My Car: BA '97 GXi, BA '98 ZXi

Guys

The V6 rear cam cover was leaking oil everywhere, so I had to remove the intake manifold and throttle body, to access the cam cover & renew the gasket.

All done, car reassembled. Car starts normally, but after a few seconds settles into a steady "chugging". On just one occasion it suddenly roared, as if the problem had cleared, then it settled back into chugging again.

Audio here:

https://clyp.it/pnkxbn3l

I've checked all the vacuum lines, and the rear bank of plugs are in the right order. It's not the throttle body (I swapped it out, to check), and the car has a brand new air filter. Car has fuel. I was careful to immediately cover up all the ports etc when the manifold was off, so nothing fell down there.

Any ideas?

Cheers

S

"She'll hold together. (Please baby, hold together)"

'Sundance' maintenance thread here (BA 1.5 GXi) - Proudly un-lowered!
'Butch' maintenance thread here (BA 2.0 V6 ZXi SE) - Now with power steering. Oooooh.

pitrack_1
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:52 pm 

Serena,

Sounds a bit like it's idling just a bit too low. When EFI cars start they seem to start off a set of pre-programmed settings and when the engine's started and the sensors are (assumed) online with (assumed) reasonable readings, the ECU reverts to calculated running. Thus the 'normal' start then the problematic running. Disconnecting something like a MAF/MAP sensor or a large air leak usually results in the car starting then immediately stalling.

Couple of things I could suggest:
- Does it rev normally? In that case it could be the idle control needs resetting and the car should do that by itself. If you rev the engine (say2000 rpm) and then slowly drop the revs down towards idle the car should be able to slowly adjust and pick up the new setting as you approach idle. This is especially the case if the battery was disconnected as the memory will have 'forgotten' its memory.
- All sensors reconnected properly- were any other sensors disturbed? Injector connections OK?
- Check for intake leaks esp after the throttle body. Could the intake pipe have split? Spray something (carefully) like carby cleaner or similar hydrocarbon around the joints/pipes, if the engine revs increase you've found a leak.
- Just check all plug leads are connected well.
- If it runs OK, it may be worth a drive to see if it continues when warm.

Good luck! After all your efforts I'm sure it will all work out shortly for you and the car will 'click.'

Patrick

brucey76
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:13 pm 

sounds like an air leak. did the short but thick breather pipe seat correctly?

SerenaJ
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:17 pm 
Gold Member Offline

Patrick: many thanks, I'll work through that list :thumbleft:

I did disconnect the battery earlier today, as I had a petrol leak from the fuel rail, and I didn't want to risk any kind of spark or electrical discharge while I dealt with it.

brucey76 wrote:
sounds like an air leak. did the short but thick breather pipe seat correctly?

Cheers, which one's that? First time I've done this!

S

'Butch' maintenance thread here (BA 2.0 V6 ZXi SE) - Now with power steering. Oooooh.

maZZda
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:56 pm 

Check for Fault codes!!
You may have disconnected some sensors while there was power, or tried to fire without one connected.This trows fault.Check if there is some.It could shed some light on the problem.Maybe you didn't connect properly one?!

SerenaJ
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:05 pm 
Gold Member Offline

maZZda wrote:
Check for Fault codes!!
You may have disconnected some sensors while there was power, or tried to fire without one connected.This trows fault.Check if there is some.It could shed some light on the problem.Maybe you didn't connect properly one?!

Hi Todor,

Thanks, that's a good idea :thumbleft: I don't think I disconnected any sensors (I just unbolted the intake manifold) but I'll see if I can check the fault codes.

Cheers!

S

maZZda
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:15 pm 

If you changed/removed TB you have to disconnect the TPS right? :)
Did you connected all vacuum hoses right?The V6 mannifold does have "some" vacuum hoses.With all the variable chambers there..

SerenaJ
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:25 am 
Gold Member Offline

maZZda wrote:
If you changed/removed TB you have to disconnect the TPS right? :)

Where is the TPS on the V6? Is is the plug that connects to the back of the TB?

Quote:
Did you connected all vacuum hoses right? The V6 mannifold does have "some" vacuum hoses.With all the variable chambers there..

I reconnected both fuel hoses and 2 x vacuum hoses to the manifold. Plus 2 coolant hoses to the throttle body ... all the actuator pipes were already attached to the new manifold!

S

maZZda
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:17 am 

SerenaJ wrote:

Where is the TPS on the V6? Is is the plug that connects to the back of the TB?

Yes it's on the TB.I'm not sure front or rear but it's there."Throttle position sensor" is the full name of the sensor and you can assume what is for :D
There should be an IAC valve also on the TB.Idle air control valve.Is it conected propperly? Did you changed tha TB with another?If you did, do you put your sensors on it (from the previous TB) if not the "new" ones could be missaligned and they could need calibration(the TPS)

SerenaJ wrote:
I reconnected both fuel hoses and 2 x vacuum hoses to the manifold. Plus 2 coolant hoses to the throttle body ... all the actuator pipes were already attached to the new manifold!!

I didn't understand that you changed the manifold with another.. this could be air leak, but to me it sounds like a misfire of one cylinder.Did the car "dies" by itself?
Fire it 2-3 times with a half an hour period between them and measure the time from start up to flat dead. If it's the same(or close) is there a way that you could mistake the fuel pipes and put them backwards on a v6???
I have done that once on my Z5 :lol: the car fired for some time and died from misfiring.
Have you changed anything else with the intake mannifold? Injectors,actuators,vacuum hoses? They could be leaking air or some injectors could be seized and not spraying.
The engine needs 2 ingredients: air and fuel, then they need spark and will burn.Search wich is not entering the cylinders properly(well what were you messing with on the job you've done realy) If the car was fine before you do it, then 100% is something you messed with.
I hope i helped a bit.

jinglebells
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:55 pm 

Hi Serena,
To me it sounds like the idle control valve has a problem (needs cleaning?), but I'd add that I'm a 4-cylinder person, not 6. :shock:

brucey76
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:32 pm 

underneath the manifold theres a short but thickish 90' pipe that connects to the rear rocker cover as a breather pipe. timing belt side right at the back. just infront of the brake servo. also which manifold are you changing too? ze straight neck or curved? or another KF