It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:23 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules - Please read!

Remember to start your thread with the model of the car (BG, BA, BJ etc)

Explained in detail here

Toe
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:54 pm 
Gold Member Offline

After having a silver ZXi many years ago and another fairly recently which was to be honest a piece of junk with only the engine which was any good I've had the patience to pick up a ZXi SE nearish to me at Maldon in Essex which came up on Faceache Market Place would you believe.
It has Mot but is SORN'ed, a bit of rust on the rear suspension mounting and corroded brake discs is the only advisory on last MoT but did fail on emissions but a new back box seems to have been the remedy. Has a new distributor too and no rust on wheel arches, it does have a bit of rust on one front jacking point which will need welding and whilst the rears around the spats wasn't brilliant it looks as if I've got to it in time.

Disappointed with Mazda to be honest though, the underseal was in one piece but had rust under it, how could this happen unless it was poorly applied in the first place...

Anyway I got it for £300, the good....

Not much rust as said,
No HLA noise from engine,
Fairly reasonable mileage at 105,000,
Everything works (apart from air conditioning of course!)
Wheels/tyres in half decent nick.
Headlight protectors which aren't cracked or anything,
3/4 tank of petrol!

The bad,

Think previous owner used the rear for a ram raid lol, she hit a tree and mullered the brackets and the bumper but the chassis is good.
Crack in rear decor panel from ram raiding a tree, the hatch is slightly out of shape too but not severely,
The front bumper has split after her son ran into something, again it's the brackets that have gone,
Front offside wing has a kink from aforementioned biff on the front.
Driver seat split and messed up, passenger side not much better, the result of owning 2 Jack Russells lol,
Needs a service,
Oil leak around both cam covers, don't think there is one from the distributor as it's new but who knows with some mechanics,
Cam belt cover seems to be not fitted correctly.
Drivers door card is loose, seems to be connected with the window which is not really happy to go up and down, plus the glass is scratched at the mirror end,
No stereo...
Steering wheel shot,
Wing mirror a bit iffy, won't fold in,
Aerial all bent up...

Some of this is ideal opportunity time to replace with better stuff, like the steering wheel with a nice MX5 one, a good period stereo, parking sensors whilst the bumper is off, maybe shoe horning folding/heated mirrors with later 323 ones.......

Anyway I've already changed the middle exhaust pipe as the previous one was welded up badly so sounds good now, undersealed the underneath and rear arches for now, using a trick I done with my Saab, Waxoyl underseal and then Hammerite on top, been on the Saab for 5 years now and nearly as good as the day I put it on, pictures will follow but for now until I load up more pics and have more time to type more bumf out I've got the one obligatory pic which was in the advert, watch this space as they say.........

Last edited by Toe on Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SerenaJ
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:49 pm 
Gold Member Offline

My Car: BA '97 GXi, BA '98 ZXi

OM G, another SE! :D I have one :lol:

Mine is also on SORN, but only because I need to put a new PAS pipe on it ... long, long saga ... :roll:

Looks like you have the original Mazda wheels, too.

Shout if you need parts, I might be able to help :thumbleft:

Serena

'Sundance' maint thread here (BA 1.5 GXi) - Proudly un-lowered!
'Butch' maint thread here (BA 2.0 V6 ZXi SE) - Now with PAS. Oooooh.

https://www.instagram.com/sj323f/

CSR
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:22 pm 

And you forget to say that, IS A V6!!! C'mon for 300£?! dam.... i have to go to UK :lol:

Nice save. bring glory to that beauty! and Welcome back!

CSR

maZZda
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:36 am 

You do realise the difference RHD / LHD...

Toe
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:25 pm 
Gold Member Offline

Thanks people, SE in this green fairly common late on but can see why, it is lovely colour especially with the sand coloured seats, do need plenty of parts but don't want to run before I can walk haha.

Got the car for my partner, with a Saab Turbo and a Daihatsu Charade Turbo to look after I can't justify getting another car for myself as it won't get used enough and as my partner will be able to sell her Fiesta and keep the money from it whilst being given this she'd be crazy to turn it down but to be honest I'm gonna drive this as much as I can, it's fine and fun driving turbo's (have done since selling my first ZXi 12 years ago funnily enough) but the smoothness of a V6 is just as intoxicating...

Anyway I've been busy, the hot weather and change of hours with my job gives me some more time and have been doing something nearly every day to it... Starting underneath.......

Much of the rust was around the jacking points, front and rear and has a slit where rust has eaten through on offside but an easy fix, the rest was crappy but still solid, even under the spats but there was a couple of holes in the actual wheel arch but easily sorted

So my trick is to use the Waxoyl underseal brushed on around the heavy wear areas such as cills and arches etc and then Waxoyl itself underneath the body and the harder to reach areas plus Bilt Hamber's dynax-s50 aerosol with an attachment to do the really vunerable places like inside the cills, the long flexiable pipe lets me get it right inside. I then give the underseal 2 coats of Hammerite, weird yes, as it's a metal paint but some other guy with a Daihatsu done it long before me and it works well, Hammerite is made by the same manufacturer and I guess it gives a solid finish but the underseal is still soft underneath, done it my Saab and 5 years on only a small piece has fallen off but the underseal is still good. I know some knock Waxoyl but like anything used properly it's fine, the hot weather makes it even better, pressure washing the dirt off, letting dry fully and the wiping with white spirit lets the by now really runny underseal almost apply itself, but anyway pictures tell a 1000 words lol. The green isn't exact but is closer than it appears in the pics, plus it's mostly unseen anyway...

The good cill, come up really well, hope it stays like that!

Rear arch, the sun shows it lighter but with the wheel on it's hardly noticeable, it keeps on even with pressure washing, undersealed the anti-roll bars and suspension too, they are fairly rusty, will wait for a V6 being scrapped nearby to pick up spares to be powder coated..

Front bumper off too, really really easy, all the connectors came off easy, all but 3 bolts came out without shearing and that includes the undertray too..

Ropey seats and steering wheel, in the process of seeing about getting the seats jazzed up again and looking forward to getting hold of a MX5 Nardi leather steering wheel, plus a variable intermittent wiper from a MX3

Engine really good, no HLA noise, sounds ok, think an idler wheel bearing on one of the serpentine belts is on it's way out and oil leaking through both cam cover gaskets, think mechanic screwed it up with either distributor or cam belt replacement in the past, pressure washed all underneath, oil was everywhere, still got to get the gaskets plus the manifold gaskets too, will change coolant and fuel filter at same time, oh, spark plugs too

Front wings off too, will get a mobile air conditioning expert to look over the system with it like this, easy to get at all the bits like this, been years since it's worked so dunno if it has a leak or if just bleed away over the years.......

Anyway building up a parts list I'll need, front offside wing, both front and rear bumpers, aerial as the universal one bodged in is bent up, maybe ventilation control as the speed section has come away from the panel, part of the rubber surround on the wing mirror, need a clamp to keep spare wheel in place too.
On shopping list is some silver aerosol to give the wheels a quick jazz up, they're not too bad but whilst they're off and slapping some underseal I thought why not. Parking sensors too, partner has biffed the gate post a couple of times in her Fiesta so don't want it with the SE, remote central locking as there isn't none on this, no alarm either? Will fit in a window closure module too so when locking it'll shut the windows as well, thinking on a boot lid solenoid too so a press of a button the hatch will pop it's lock.
Also got a stereo on it's way as previous owner took her DAB one out (even though reception is crap around here) so finally bought a headunit manufacturer I've always admired but could never afford, an Alpine, looking for a cd changer too as this headunit is just a radio and amp, should suit the car well I reckon :)

For the coming days finishing undersealing and then changing oil/filter and finding a home for the interior whilst I take out and clean up the carpet (already bunged the rear seat backs in washing machine, did put boot carpet in too but maybe a bit big and inflexible, trying to get damn dog hairs out, maybe will have to pick them out individually :blackeye: ) and get the cd changer cable in plus the parking sensor cable and to maybe seal the floor pan up too if it needs it

Toe
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:44 pm 
Gold Member Offline

Busy stripping it all out, hope I can remember where everything goes! Got a leak both sides, weird really as there is a pool of water in a couple of recesses either side but the insulating material underneath the carpet is only wet in a localised area, can't see any water marks, the insulating rubbery stuff on the floorpan is still secure so at least water hasn't got under it, thinking this is why so many rust out from underneath, water gets under it and never dries out, maybe a side effect of the frameless windows?
Anyway washed the carpet in the bath, phew, dirty or what, and millions of dog hairs lol...

Onto the pics :)

Been giving the wheels a quick jazz up, just a Dremel and wet & dry, was hoping not to prime it but had to really, got the high build and didn't realise (DUH!) the colour was orange! (Even though the cap was orange, (DOH!) Actually having said that it actually looked quite good and even though it'd may go well with the green body it's a bit OTT so then thought what am I gonna do now, couldn't use the silver over it as it may show but then realised I had half a can of white primer so stuck that on and then the silver and a lauqer which both were from Wilkinsons and it went on really really well, way better than I anticipated, make me wish I'd spent more time sanding etc, gawd knows how long it'll last but I did clean it up well so it shouldn't come off because of that, I've still got the rear to do so will take some more pics then but in meantime a comparison...

Mean business now, need to get carpet up to clean it and to be able to route cd changer cable and parking sensor wiring, be a lot easier if someone in the past hadn't cut the aerial, previous cd changer and some weird wiring heree for the electric aerial.

Know it's an aftermarket one but what the hell is going on here?! :evil:

brucey76
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:48 pm 

I have a front bumper in that colour. rear is from another but has a slight crack where number plate sits. pm me if interested

Toe
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:09 pm 
Gold Member Offline

Another update, into to it now, taking the pics as well... Cleaned up the interior with a bucket and cloth, pretty grubby and dusty, had to use multi-purpose cleaner as the spray with bleach took the paint off :shock:
This will now let me start laying cables and trying to sort the mess which is the electric aerial plus checking the stereo wiring matches the headunit I have as it doesn't look original, headunit needs a live feed straight off the battery too so will route it through the firewall somehow...

Lastly got a good pic of the rust on the cill, nice easy fix, do I have a crack myself, reckon I can, not quite yet though...

Pinkers
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:55 am 

Fantastic work going on here mate! I'm rescuing a V6 too, good to see someone else saving one. Mine was similar on the rust progress, had to have a new piece welded under one rear flute/spat. Rear subframe was at the point where it needed intervention. I got a garage to do the undersealing, went with dinitrol which is a Scandinavian product. Will you put wax oyl on first on those cills? I still need to do my jacking points on mine, was planning on using hammerite.

Toe
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:20 pm 
Gold Member Offline

Thanks fella, really got into the mood again with this as thought with doing up a house, a Daihatsu with a poorly head and a Saab which is tired but won't give up I was loosing interest with this particular "hobby"..
The cills I put on Waxoyl Underseal, the paint in the tin for high impact areas, not the stuff you spray on, I'd have put on the underseal anyway but the paint is just an extra line of defence, like any underbody protection or any coating is the preparing of it so I would hope mine will last and with you getting a garage who hopefully has experience in applying Dintrol then yours should be good too :)
Bloody rain messing around with me now, pulled all the door panels off and pulled them apart to clean them up better and have stuck some roofing rubbery felt stuff I use for my Charade to reduce road noise etc, onto the outer skin inside the door, hopefully the door will go more clunk and less clang lol. Waiting for warmer weather to apply Waxoyl inside the door, there is no rust and it looks good but like the felt I got some spare so why not use it, I intend to keep this car for a long while...
Will have to keep it a long while as have took front seats to be recovered and heater panels put in, having a Saab really brings home how good heated seats are, snag is they will cost me alot to have done but hopefully it'll be worth it. What the trimmer did notice though is that not all of the seat is leather, these Mazda ones are leather on the seat faces but the rear and sides are vinyl, a damn good match but vinyl all the same and even though the leather doesn't seem much good from Mazda of this time it appears better than a VW seat he was recovering which then asks the question what is leather from today's cars gonna be like in 10-20 years time? He was fairly impressed with the seats bearing in mind they are 20 years old.

Toe
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:59 pm 
Gold Member Offline

After many hours doing this and way more cash than it's worth it's just about finished, couldn't have done it if it wasn't for a change of shifts at work which meant I finished at noon and the wonderful summer which leant to long days and makes the work easier to do...

Fitted the parking sensors, remote central locking, total closure for the windows, heated seats, flocked the dashboard, replace rear bumper, replaced gearstick gaiter for a leather one, 12 disc cd changer with a 4x45w headunit which is way too powerful for speakers, changed oil, oil filter, air filter, fuel filter, spark plugs, plug leads, inlet manifold gaskets, cam cover gaskets, anti freeze, aerial, rear decor panel, MX5 steering wheel, MX3 intermittent wiper stalk, replaced the cigarette lighter with a 12v accessory socket, metal rings for the instrument dials, stainless steel kick plates, straightened out the front right wing and braced the front bumper where it split, led lights for the room, boot and map reading, switch to control the radio aerial as it's so huge, switch to control the central locking so no need to use the door locking tabs, new centre exhaust, a very big battery which only just fits tray but way over the recommended rating due to good price needing one for the headunit which is required to run straight off the battery plus heated seats which needs at least 20amps, fixed left headlamp leveller and replace right wing mirror due to old one not being able to fold in.
Still need to get air conditioning fixed and weld a small slit on sill but will wait as used all my cash up getting this far. Drives and absolute dream, no rattles, clonks or weird engine noises, bit of wind noise around passenger wing mirror at 40mph plus but either a rubber seal is going on it needs adjusting...
Now, onto the fun bits.. the pics :)
Each step of painting wheels, good old Wilkinson silver and lacquer came through great, looks like new :)

Front cams, weirdly the rear bank is way cleaner but the gaskets were in a hellava state...

MX3 wiper stalk next to 323, the actual part is virtually identical but it is NOT plug and play, the wiring needs to be cut and soldered as the plugs are different, the wiring itself is ok, but the connectors aren't..

MX5 steering wheel with a flocked dashboard done locally, so was the seats which are heated with the dials built into the area in front of the gear stick with the new gaiter... Seats were done in Italian leather which is a way better quality than "normal" leather seats but boy it cost! The flocking really sets it off by the contrast with the rest of the dashboard, cuts down on the glare which comes from the top of the dash..

Front bumper still has gash on it, too much to get it repainted and I'm not doing it as the rest of it is in great condition and I'd never reach the same standard as factory, will wait for a scrappy to come along and then swap out the front wing which although way better still doesn't fit ideally, the rear hatch is the same, have knocked out much of the crease but can go no further, will wait for one to be scrapped. Paintwork came up really well with a clay bar and quick machine polish on some of it..........
Few more details, couple bits of trim to do and install headlight leveller and I'll then be able go onto something else, Saab needs work as do the broke Charade plus bits on house but would love to get a MX6 next 8)

CSR
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:35 pm 

man... awesome!!! look at that interior!!! and chrome kickplates! :shock: you dont have another set? :roll:

the seats! you restor it well!!!

Man... Very impresive and very good to see. did not like the parking sensors in the rear bumper...

CSR

HMT
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:43 am 

Wow, this is going into the right direction :)
As for the underseal being "poorly applied" - it's bitumen based and the cars are 20-25 years old now! This is not a Mazda specific issue but i agree that it sucks. The correct way to deal with it is removing the stuff e.g. by dry ice blasting, treating the areas already affected and then reapplying new underseal oe equivalent, depending on the use profile.

andym323
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:56 am 
Club Secretary Offline

My Car: Meanie

Awesome work, wish I'd got round to redoing my underseal :( Hoping for a dryish day before Christmas to at least do the rear towers.

Love the dash, looks fantastic, I'm defo doing mine now, how much was it to get done?

May all your F'ing dreams come true! (lottery won and a miracle wouldn't go amiss!!!)

I got hooooooles, they're multiplying :(

And nice shiny new V6 to play with

Toe
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:23 pm 
Gold Member Offline

Well, my partner has agreed to sell her Fiesta to have this, end of the year we'll tax it and she'll swap insurance over and then get some petrol to see if it's ok on a motorway etc.
Do agree on parking sensors, pretty ugly and did consider painting them but read the paint can't be too thick and at least with the dark green they're not too obvious. Still need to find a good front and rear bumper in the green so may change the locations if I find any.
The underseal on my 28 year old Daihatsu is fine and so is the underseal on my 26 year old Saab, when looking at buying 323's, MX6's and MX3's I check the MoT's on them and nearly all had corrosion problems, a bit off putting to say the least, doesn't seem to be as common with other makes, they still rust of course but it certainly seems Mazda's of this age do like to rust!
The sills I got off a fella on Faceache, right time and the right place for once, needed some anyway as one was badly put back when the radio was wired in by a previous owner, was put back so bad a 5 year old could do better, the end had folded over and instead of straightening they just used 3 self tapping screws right through it so the fold was well and truly almost "welded" in!

The flocking is I think the best result of the car compared to the cost, £80 it cost me and was a spur of the moment kind of thing, seats weren't done and and had plenty of time to wait for them and knew the place and see the advert on Fleabay. Love the way I got him to follow the curve at the bottom of the gearstick, little things please little minds eh but it makes it more of a original finish, plus practical too.

And a couple of pics he sent me while he was doing it..

Attachments:
42876492_478016702702833_2306787184759275520_n.jpg
42876492_478016702702833_2306787184759275520_n.jpg [ 62.83 KiB | Viewed 28 times ]
41980778_472607499910420_829363386062995456_n.jpg
41980778_472607499910420_829363386062995456_n.jpg [ 90.6 KiB | Viewed 28 times ]