It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:40 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules - Please read!

Remember to start your thread with the model of the car (BG, BA, BJ etc)

Explained in detail here

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 348 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
maZZda
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 4:00 pm 

The whole idea was to create my own exhaust system.I thought about that it will be a little gain.All car exhaust systems are restrictive, everything after the exhaust ports of the head only restricts hot gasses from leaving the cylinder chamber completely and with high velocity.The modern cars are made to work with exhaust system under bigger pressure than ambient(back pressure) so the stock O2 sensors can read adequately gasses.That may be nothing like restriction in low rpms, but sure is big restriction in high rpms.Small pipe internal diameter is also restrictive for higher rpms.A given engine burns X quantity of air/fuel mixture and produce an X quantity of exhaust gasses at given rpms.Those gasses have to be discarded fast without losses.Given the cars are for road use there's no need for chasing higher rpms exhaust efficiency, but maybe lower rpms to mid rpms.(where most road legal cars have their power)
That way the car manufacturers cripple the engines for fuel economy, ecological restrictions and other needs..
They take from top end power and put it down in lower rpms, and they extra cripple cars with silencer,resonance chambers,catalitic converters,DPF-s, and alot of other solutions for lowering the sound and emissions of the exhaust gasses exiting the engine.
I made straight pipe(only resonance chamber silencer in it) for more top end power, if i leave it open in lower rpms i lose torque.That's why i will opened it in mid to high rpms only.

The silver F had the same "Lantis" sticker on both wings below the side repeaters.The letters "L" and "S" where half peeled on both sides, and i decided to remove them.There goes the name "Anti".. :D
Cheers!

maZZda
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 8:02 pm 

De-modded Anti this evening, i removed the second fuel pump. :lol:
I hope it stops the hiccups now. :shock:

Edit: Going out for a drive.. :D

2-nd edit: the problem persist.. :(

maZZda
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 11:45 am 

Hi people, today(after alot of messing arround the car) i found out that TPS was with incorrect position and i put it whre it needs to be.I have wasted my "work time"as my wife said and i couldn't dothe job to the end, but hey the hiccups stoped.Wich is good,IT'S GOOOOOD!(as Jim Carrey says :D )
Now i need to play a bit with air and fuel to make the best performace there is. :)
Soon other mods.Stay tuned! 8)

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMuoFEi42oE

maZZda
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:59 pm 

De-moded the car again, now the front number plate holder is off.Well, I was kindly advised by the police to remove it.. :lol:
Great guys, by the way. :)
The car still gets the usual hiccups.. i've already used to them.. :(

maZZda
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 7:46 pm 

Today was a good day, i successfully stuffed the muffler with wool(stone wool) sliced on circles,plased sideways in a sandwich with stainless steel meshes.Job done!
I now have a "Silence" mode and a "Loudness" mode in my F. 8)
Soon will make some videos.I'm now thinking/creating the control.
Cheers guys and girls!

Lerch
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 8:07 pm 
UK Events Manager Offline

Be interested to see how the loud and quiet mode works dude.....get that video up :)

Vulcan 2.5 KLDE Track car thread here
Maddy KFDE ZXI daily thread here

Profile Facebook  

maZZda
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 8:15 pm 

Lerch wrote:
Be interested to see how the loud and quiet mode works dude.....get that video up :)

Roger!
All i need is one little electric valve to actuate the vaccum to ambient air so it opens and closes the valve.
Now i'm with directly plugged hose in the intake mannifold and when there is vaccum(low rpms or slow rising rpms) the car is quiet, but if i step on it the vaccum "magically" dissapears and the loudness apears :badgrin:

SerenaJ
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 8:49 pm 
Gold Member Offline

My Car: BA '97 GXi, BA '98 ZXi

maZZda wrote:
The letters "L" and "S" where half peeled on both sides, and i decided to remove them.There goes the name "Anti".. :D

Oh, THAT's why! :D

I wondered ...

S

"She'll hold together. (Please baby, hold together)"

'Sundance' maintenance thread here (BA 1.5 GXi) - Proudly un-lowered!
'Butch' maintenance thread here (BA 2.0 V6 ZXi SE) - Now with power steering. Oooooh.

maZZda
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:11 pm 

Anti or on my language "Анти" is a word(pre word) with rebellious character, it's representing the character of my F, the spirit of the car(well, in my eyes). never in a mechanic garage, always on the road, no matter what, doing things that no one did before,making up on it's own,"growing"(mods), never sacrificing stability and reliability,safety..
I think that this name suits the car good.Again, that's my opinion :lol:

maZZda
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 12:51 pm 

Here's a small vid i promised.In general i start the car on staraight pipe, rev it a bit, then put the muffler in action and rev again.After that again straight pipe and with mufler once again. :D

https://youtu.be/WPCP4R8D0KM

CSR
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 8:16 pm 

nice! in terms of sound you can note the difference, and I kind of like it... left to know in terms of power :p

maZZda
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 3:59 pm 

Well, in terms of power the car drives like a normal 323F 1.5l with a little bit more spirit.Taking in mind that it rolls 17"wheels with 20mm spacers,an LPG system with 15litres still in it(i drive on petrol now),all my tools and one donkey behind the steeering wheel :lol: it still drives like a non touched Z5.
Wich i think is good.Last fall when i put the 15"wheels i felt big difference in launching, but stopping power was all gone.. soo it's really good that it can handlle the bigger weight of the wheels and stuff inside the car and still drive like it should.As i said awhile ago, i'm not serching for "thousands of ponies" just some so to keep mooving :lol: :lol:

maZZda
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:22 pm 

Hi, since last time i wrote, i managed to do some things about the car:
I finally made the lightweight crankshaft pulley, but it's not on the car yet.Sitting and waiting it's hour.
I bought 3 way windshield washers and mounted them.They require more water flow and i bought a second water pump(stock) to fit, but she is waiting too.. :lol:
Managed to stuff a set of HELLA fog lights(Golf MK2 lences) inside the stock fog lights.Now i'm waiting the sealant to dry so i can mount them on the car.They are H3 and they spoil the configuation of the car(wich was H1 all the way) but i want better visibility when fog comes down at the mornings.Here is some pictures of the making, somewhere around you can spot the lightweight pulley too..

First i tryed them without the reflectors just to see how will they stand.I think it's cool..

Then i took it and drill/bored the stock reflectors so to be able to fit the lences inside them and to make them adjustable.Well i use the stock adjust.. perfect.

Assembled, ready for test fit..

Test for light dissapation:

Engine gasket sealant(applied by finger) :lol:

Both done and drying.

What do you think guys? :headbang: ROCK and ROLL? :D

maZZda
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:23 pm 

Finaly fitted:

They need a little adjust, but that will be tommorow..
Here is how they light the area infront the car:

Pretty good if i may say, completely different from the stock ones.Better emited light(stronger beam),sharper edge and improved visibility because they do glow way ahead compared to the stock ones.
Alas, the plastic is not fresh like it used to be 20 years ago, so i did some modification brackets on 5 from total 6 attachment points.. :lol: :lol:
Also i cut and soldered the bulb socket so i can use the original wire plugs on the car.
As i needed some space i used longer bolts and some spacers(from bigger nuts) so i can pull the fogs 1 cm forward because they touched the radiator plastics.. now there's 5-8mm distance wich is enough for aligning. 8) and they are still recessed a little in the bumper.. :roll:
I made 2 dust/water caps for the back of the lence reflector from 2 jar caps :D :D
Here you can see all the things i said/typed:

Happy with the results!One more thing that made my F stand out(different) from other Fs here(and there) :D

pitrack_1
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:14 pm 

Warning: you are entering a pun zone...

Dare I say it...brilliant work?!! Although they do appear rather bulbous! :lol:

You've shone a light on of the darkest areas of the BA Lantis...namely the lighting.

Very resourceful work and I like that you've bothered to reseal/weatherproof the lamps. Using the jar lids was a bright idea. :idea:

So enlighten me again... is the following right- my memory's a bit foggy. You used the BA fog lamp housing which was modified with:
- the Golf yellow lens
- the Golf optical unit
- kept the BA wiring harness/plugs?

The light pattern looks good, far better than any foggies I've ever had which have always been too general.

Now if you can modify your low beams in a similar way you may actually be able to see where you're going. Because of the standard reflector/lensing setup I think the high beams may be a hopeless case.

All in all, very illuminating...:sign7:

Patrick

maZZda
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:40 pm 

Hi Patric, i used only the optical unit from stock Golf Mk2 fogs wich are HELLA ones.Hella are far known with quality lighting stuff.The third picture in my first post for the fogs is only the optical unit(reflector with lence) wich oddly looks like a 2-nd world war bomb :lol:
About the plugs, i ment that i used the original harrnes male and female plugs.The stock plugs wich are on the back of the fogs are a base/holder for the H1 bulbs.The plug is in 90degrees shape and i had to cut it in the middle and solder cables with cable shoes because the Hella fogs uses H3 bulbs wich are with 1 wire with shoe and uses surronding ground for the other pole.That's why i needed to modify the connection(all is inside, under the jar caps) :D
I thought alot, maybe an hour or more for what to use as a cap.Then i foud som jar caps(as i work in my basement realy) so i tried them but they moved(they were bigger) and then i saw those rubber seals that are leftovers from the dissasembled Golf fogs.. i DIY-ed them a bit and Voila!
Also i had too little space at the back of the fogs for aligning.The caps put 2mm of lenght, wich is nothing :lol:
Low beams were modifyed along ago(when i put the daylights): I straightened the "beam cut" pattern, chromed both lences "beam cutters"(wich are dark grey), cleared both reflectors because from alot of burnt bulbs inside they were smoked ALOT!, and greased all adjust points,levers,mechanisms..
Now they are with H1 diode lights and they do light the road ahead nicely.
I think i wrote once or twise about the light issue the Fs has.The smoked reflectors(or burnt) is to blame, not the type of lights.One friend here had his for re-chroming and his lights are better than new.High beams are hoples thou.. maybe retrofit some lences, but that will change the look of the car.. not in my taste..

maZZda
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:46 pm 

Here are 2-3 pictures of the fogs:

1-st one is how they light now(they do need a little bit of touch) and the phone camera made their light normal white(not yellow) but that's about it.

Here's how they stand at the daylight hours:

Aint that some Mazda company we have.. :lol:
There's a M6 second gen. and M3 BK also, but they weren't caught in the pics.

Edit: Tommorow the Mazda park in my family will hopefully get bigger with one Blue Mazda 6 second gen. sedan 2.0 141HP wich my brother will buy for him.
Nice night to you people!

pitrack_1
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:58 pm 

Hi maZZda,
maZZda wrote:
Hi Patric, i used only the optical unit from stock Golf Mk2 fogs...

...the caps put 2mm of lenght, wich is nothing :lol:
Thanks for that. You've put a lot of thought, work and skill into it and have a good result. Well done!

maZZda wrote:
Low beams were modifyed along ago...
Oh yes I remember now. Sorry, I should have looked but it was very late (well early here) I think and didn't. I shouldn't have smoked reflectors because, as far as I am aware, they are the OEM bulbs from the factory. Also the lenses shouldn't smoke unless the quartz fractures and/or they are heat affected. I'm not game to open mine up. Maybe one day I can convince a wrecker to give me a couple of broken ones to experiment on.

maZZda wrote:
Here are 2-3 pictures of the fogs: (etc)
They look excellent, well done.

maZZda wrote:
Aint that some Mazda company we have.. :lol:
There's a M6 second gen. and M3 BK also, but they weren't caught in the pics.
I have a 'Mazda park' too!

Patrick

maZZda
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:29 pm 

Adjusted again fog lights.They needed some body adjusting so the adjust range could get them in the right spot.As they were a little low at the top of the adjust. so they are good now.No pics.Had an hour left(in my free time) and put some more blue washers with bolts under the hood(bought them last year) wich i didn't suppose the time would come. :roll: no pics too And had the MOMO pedal pads fitted:

Also a new set of floor mats.. :D

maZZda
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:53 pm 

maZZda wrote:
Adjusted again fog lights...
..As they were a little low at the top of the adjust. so they are good now.No pics.

Lied, i found 2 pictures, one from the adjusting moment(wich is at day light) and another one when i was searching a really dark place so i can show you the light that they bring out.Wasn't really dark enough thou..

I realy like how sharp is the cut of the beam.And now i know why the phone make the light white when dark.It has no reference to match the colour when dark so it recognise it like white. :lol:

maZZda
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:25 pm 

The time has come! :lol:
Here comes the underdrive lightweight pulley:

https://youtu.be/4DW9pU54a3s

SO overall not done yet, i need some more tinkering with the pulley(right lenght bolts and such) and need to find washers(spacers) for the generator pulley too(it needed some modification too)I put the generator pulley so to be able to keep rpms in it or it will just not be enough voltage and amps for the electric sistem.And i now need some washers to make the pulley align with the crankshaft pulley.
As you can see from the pics the plastic that shows the angle(ignition timing will be in the way of the generator/water pump belt, so i need to cut it a bit(or modify it) but lets get to there.. one step at a time.
Nice night people!

maZZda
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:27 pm 

Update, Anti is running now, it's with the new lightweight underdrive pulley.The generator pulley is changed too and it holds 14V(but only 14V) will need recycling in the near future.The battery was flat dead, showing only 4V :shock: (i will need new battery for winther season).So here are two pictures and a quick vid i made:

https://youtu.be/v2iKX74sLlY

On the video you can hear one of the injectors knocking and some strange grinding(i believe it's the water pump, but not sure) so i still have work on the car,but for now it's back on the road for driving/testing. :D
Oww, and you can see the thick copper ground i have installed to connect engine and chassis on the pictures and vid. :D

Meanwhile i recieved a package full of this little fellas:

So i started the project "Pillow ball droplinks"
Here are the rear ones done(they need only bolts and nuts, ofcourse stainless steel)

And today i got down to buissness and finally placed the horns where i wanted from the start.It took me a while, as i created 2 different by shape/design brackets, so they sit at the same distance from the fogs both sides.Job done, but pictures are dark as i've done it 30 mins ago(it's dark from 3 hours now) :lol:

Now they are loud, and actually other cars on the road can hear me! :lol:
All this done for 4 hours, including changing brake line on a friends bike,bleeding it and adjusting it.
Nice night people!

maZZda
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:58 pm 

Hi people, little feedback about the lightweight pulley:
The car(despite the fact that it's crippled from electrical point of view) now pulls a little bit more and feels more spirited.The revving of the car is a bit easier(faster),but so little faster that revving at sight doesn't show a difference.Pulling up from 2K rpms when cruising shows the better responce and easier revving thou..The power steering is not affected much, i can say not even a bit as i feel it as it was before(but mathematically it's imposible so it should be afected)Maybe it's little and i cannot feel it, but the engine do :D .Also the generator is pulling more than 14V(it was 14V when i installed the pulley, now is 14.2V) wich is good.And well, it's not hot enough here these days(it's raining again), but the water pump does seems to work adequate with this lowered rpms.I didnt go trough math about revolutions before and after but i like what i did with this mod.
Nice night people!

CSR
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:30 pm 

[quote="maZZda"]The time has come! :lol:
Here comes the underdrive lightweight pulley:

https://youtu.be/4DW9pU54a3s

the point it's only lower wheight?

maZZda
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:58 am 

As the name hints, the mass of the pulley is reduced wich leads to better throttle responce as the overal rotational mass is reduced.The underdrive of auxilary stuff as power steering,water pump and generator uses less power to turn, that way the engine provide more torque to spin the wheels.It's small gain, but you feel it from the first drive.

maZZda
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:02 pm 

Hi guys, last time i wrote about the electrical problem of my F i didn't measure the dizzy cap.
Today i decided to disassemble the dizzy again :roll: and to investigate why the car misfires between 1.5K and 3K rpms at every gear.So as i said, i measure everything up and just before i assemble it again i decided to measure the cap itself.The point that gets the high voltage from the coil tower and delivers it to the center pin was the place where there was a verry big resistance and i decided to modify it, as i will buy a new cap at Monday.So i drilled it and make it like this:

The ignition coil is out the dizzy for some tests, i made extensions of the ignition coil low voltage winding and used one of my old HT leads for the high voltage to dizzy cap.
Tommorow will be test day.I will see if the temperature wich the dizzy gets from the engine head affect the performance of the ignition coil or the trigger for the coil(commutator).
I was aiming towards external coil mod realy, with maybe a MSD Blaster 2 coil, but that will be in future(maybe).If the problem the car suffer(I suffer) is solved like this, i'll be the happiest person in the world(maybe for a second or two) :lol:
Nice night people!

maZZda
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:33 pm 

Back to square one.Same old misfiring with the full ignition timing.If i retard it a bit it's getting worse.
I really don't know what's wrong with the car..
I will try one more time(changing the whole distributor with a second hand one) and if that does not cure it i don't know what will..

SerenaJ
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:17 pm 
Gold Member Offline

My Car: BA '97 GXi, BA '98 ZXi

I'm just catching up on all the stuff you've done!

I'd never heard of pillow ball mounts. I've just googled them: don't they make the ride very hard?

Also, I love the horns: they look exactly like the ones on my V6 - yes, very loud! :thumbleft:

S

"She'll hold together. (Please baby, hold together)"

'Sundance' maintenance thread here (BA 1.5 GXi) - Proudly un-lowered!
'Butch' maintenance thread here (BA 2.0 V6 ZXi SE) - Now with power steering. Oooooh.

maZZda
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:27 pm 

Thanks! They are a bit loud, but now i don't hear them(that loud) in the cabin, they are louder from the outside/infront, as they do not resonance in the front bumper anymore.That was the whole idea. :D
As for the pilowballs droplinks, they will not make the ride worse(than it is :lol: )They connect the suspension to the stabiliser bar.And they tend to wear quickly.I'm experimenting with the pilowballs realy.
If they are mounted where there is a rubber bushing in the suspension, then the ride quality is afected.
The stock droplinks are ball to plastic joints and the plastics tend to fail fast at bad roads here.
Tommorow will call one guy who said he has a hose for PAS.Cross fingers! :)

maZZda
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:38 pm 

After a bit of upgrade(with a coil from Honda Accord) the car started fine and ran fine without any hiccups or misfires.The problem is gone.Here's how i drive now:(just until i get my new coil)

It's a bit messy and dirty, but arround my daughter i have less and less time for the car :D
The coil is ziptied to the alarm system body.. for shock absorbing :lol: :lol:
I just thought that this is the right place for such ghetto modding.. :D

So now i'm waiting my MSD 2 Blaster coil to arrive.
Cheers guys!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 348 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next