It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:23 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Lerch
 Post subject: JAE 2018
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:44 pm 
UK Events Manager Offline

Afternoon all,

So JAE is starting to get some talk around it on facebook and other social media platforms.

Thought I would share what I know already and get your views:
- No entry will be granted on Thursday this year. The event will run from Friday to Sunday but nobody from JAE can confirm opening/closing times or confirm why this decision has been made. EDIT Friday 9am - Sunday 5pm
- Ticket prices are the same as last year £45 in advance or £65 on the gate.....even though you loose a day.
- Club reps meet on March 3rd in Peterborough.
- New website and database to be released soon although they seem to have lost all of their old data.
- Club plots are staying the same price which was increased last year.

There's been quite a bit of negative feedback so far on facebook as I know lots of people turned up on the Thursday over the past few years so that's annoyed some, especially with the price staying the same at £45. I've seen quite a few club reps state that they will not be attending which is a shame.

I've messaged them for some rationale around the decisions made but received nothing back so far. I'm guessing we'll get nothing until the club reps meet which is disappointing but at least its not too long to wait :)

Over to you guys for reactions and discussion.

Vulcan 2.5 KLDE Track car thread here
Maddy KFDE ZXI daily thread here

Profile Facebook  

SerenaJ
 Post subject: Re: JAE 2018
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:47 pm 
Gold Member Offline

My Car: BA '97 GXi, BA '98 ZXi

Thanks Lee.

No Thursday entry is very short-sighted: it means that for most people, most of Friday will be spent travelling, booking in and setting up camp rather than enjoying the show. So, Friday is effectively a write-off as a show day ... but which we still have to pay for!

Also, if more people are forced to arrive on the same day - and whilst the show is in progress, and there are public/non-campers also arriving to get in - the queues are likely to be horrendous, and there will be long delays setting up as more campers are manoeuvring around the site blocking roadways as they try to find out where they are. I dread to think what arriving Friday evening will be like ...

Not at all impressed!!!! :doubt:

S

"She'll hold together. (Please baby, hold together)"

'Sundance' maintenance thread here (BA 1.5 GXi) - Proudly un-lowered!
'Butch' maintenance thread here (BA 2.0 V6 ZXi SE) - Now with power steering. Oooooh.

HughieW
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:32 pm 
Website Admin Offline

My Car: Mazda 323F

Ladles and jellyspoons,

The reps meeting for JAE is coming up (March 3rd I believe), and I'll be attending on our behalf. I've got some questions to ask them myself (including where has Thursday gone!) but if anyone would like me to ask anything, please let me know ASAP on here, and I'll pass the questions on at the meeting!

If you haven't got any questions, please post in here anyway if you're interested in coming, so I can get an idea on plot size requirements, as I believe I'll need to book it on the day of the Reps meeting!

I'll put an update post in here afterwards, hopefully with some answers, and some info about the event.

Hughie

Profile Facebook  

Stu.13
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:04 pm 
Gold Member Offline

My Car: BJ Sport

Bit annoyed about the lack of Thursday :? but sure I'll still come down anyway.

Profile Facebook  

HughieW
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:43 pm 
Website Admin Offline

It seems everyone is mate :-( it's definitely going to be discussed at the reps meeting, without a doubt!

Profile Facebook  

SerenaJ
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:06 am 
Gold Member Offline

Oh I'll be at the show, but wearing a T-shirt that says

RIP THURSDAY

Perhaps we all should ... :badgrin:

S

'Butch' maintenance thread here (BA 2.0 V6 ZXi SE) - Now with power steering. Oooooh.

smurf182
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:46 pm 
Gold Member Offline

My Car: BA 1.5 Intrigue 'Womble'

All being well ill be there this year too, and yeah, Thursdays. 4 days is a JAE thing, 3 days isn't.

Lerch
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:50 am 

Thanks for going to the reps meeting for us Hugster......shame I cant make it this year.....family commitments boooo!

I'll be coming but might back the 6 up to the JAE office and fill it full of cancer!!!

Profile Facebook  

HughieW
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:49 pm 
Website Admin Offline

Just a quick nudge up the bum for those interested!

The reps meeting is THIS COMING SATURDAY, so if there are any burning questions or concerns (other than of course the missing Thursday, as that's on my list in huge red bold letters), please let me know ASAP - on here, on facetube, text me, email me, ring me, shout at my face, whatever - just let me know!

Hughie

Profile Facebook  

Lerch
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:07 pm 

sent you a carrier pigeon mate :thumbleft:

Profile Facebook  

smurf182
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:16 pm 
Gold Member Offline

Hughie, sorry f/book is playing up so cant reply on there....
Yeah Thursday is on there to ask about, but also pricing structure, I.e less days same ticket price.
Not there last year so no site/pitch comments from me

HughieW
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:48 am 
Website Admin Offline

Well chaps (and chapettes) - the wonderful british weather meant that the reps meeting yesterday was cancelled, so as yet I have no update!

I'm submitting my questions this morning via email, and they plan to read, answer, and respond to everyone's questions over the next week or so, so I'll keep y'all updated as things go!

Profile Facebook  

Lerch
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:39 am 

I've also sent some questions over, including;
- Can hughie be banned from this event and all in the future?
- Why every year do I see a ford focus knocking about? BURN IT!
- Can the security not ask us to move the fire pit outside of the tent please - its really inconvenient having to move it back inside as soon as they've buggered off.

:D

Profile Facebook  

HughieW
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:42 am 
Website Admin Offline

I'm gonna put the fire pit in your bloody tent

Profile Facebook  

HughieW
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:15 am 
Website Admin Offline

Update: I have received an email from JAE, with the following points (Note, these weren't just my questions, but general questions from everyone, though I think I asked most of these!)

Can clubs access the site on Thursday?
YES! Clubs that have an allocated plot space will be able to arrive after 4pm on Thursday to set up a club stand space. There is a charge of £5 per Thursday pass to cover the cost of on-site medics and security for the Thursday evening. Only a limited number of passes are available. This will not be promoted on the website as we do not want the general public enquiring about access on the Thursday. Each club plot that is purchased will be sent an email asking them to confirm the number of Thursday passes required with an online invoice to allow checkout.

Hughie: Please speak to myself or Lerch about whether you need Thursday entry passes - with them being limited, we will need to identify who truly does warrant a Thursday pass, and who perhaps doesn't unfortunately.

When can we reserve our club plot?
Club plots will go on sale 7pm on Wednesday 7th March. You will be able to select the plot that you prefer and pay for it online. A sneak peek of the show layout was previously communicated - this has now been extended and will be displayed on the website. Club plots must be reserved by 17th August.

Hughie: Lerch or myself will sort out the club plot. I haven't personally seen a sneak peek of the show layout, so I'll chase for this and arrange with Lerch to ensure we have a good plot!

Can clubs buy tickets at a discount?
YES! Clubs reps will be sent a discount code that will give a 10% discount on purchases of 10 or more tickets. This is a fairer system than getting one ticket free for every ten purchased, as it means that those that buy 15 tickets will get the equivalent of 1.5 tickets free and so on. More info will be provided with your promo code email.

Hughie: Hoo-bloody-rah, this means that we can offer a discount to our members - Lerch and I need to sort through this to work out what we can do, but this is great news!

Are petrol generators allowed on site?
No they cannot be used. The venue states in the T&C’s that diesel generators are the only generators to be used. This now applies to most venues across the UK. If you do see a petrol generator being used please speak to admin or security, with information about the location. The venue offers electric hook-up as an alternative. The price is set by the venue and the JAE Team do not have any control over the cost. If you would like to have electric connected to your club stand, you are advised to purchase this online no later than the 17th August 2018. Power will be connected by 7am on Friday 31st August, which is the official opening time of the event. For further information about power arrangements, please email us or visit the website pages that give information about the power options.

Hughie: I will try to see if I can get a diesel generator sorted. If I can't, we'll box my car in with other cars and plug in an inverter. I'll bring a long-ass exhaust pipe so we can route the cancer smoke away from our club stand.

Why can’t we have our music on past 10.30pm?
Due to the E of E showground being in a residential area, the venue states ‘no music outside after this time’. There are different noise restrictions set out around the venues perimeter which are regulated and monitored by the local council. If you want to party to the early hours, we have an indoor arena that will open until 2am.

Hughie: Balls to this, our music will be on quietly until we go to sleep - we're up all night rambling usually anyway! Well, Andym323 is, earplugs will be available in the club shop.

Why are there only a few showers and toilets in different locations and not one big block?
There is a guideline booklet that we have to follow when putting on events. It stipulates there has to be a certain number of toilets and showers for the attendees on site, which are provided by the venue. We recommend showering out of busy times to ensure consistency of temperature.

Hughie: I actually think it's better having multiple shower facilities - otherwise you'd be queuing for 6 months like back at Wicksteed, or they'd just be utterly disgusting within the first 7 minutes of the gates opening. I had no issues with the bogs/showers, though I'm hoping we can get a stand that is fairly close to a shower block - those who attended last year, I think that was an acceptable walking distance? Not too far, but not too close that the stand smelt of poo.

Why do we have to use the marquee company provided by JAE?
The marquee company work closely with the showground on all events. They comply to all relevant H&S requirements and have equipment to identify the location of the underground cabling that is at the venue. Any damage to any underground services has to be repaired at a cost to JAE Show and therefore we need to take steps to avoid incidents and be confident that your marquee is erected correctly and safely.

Hughie: This doesn't really apply to us, as we bring our own smoke-stained marquee (I might actually bring some bleach this year). Our marquee stakes don't go far enough into the ground to cause any issues with underlying cabling/plumbing.

Why aren't the security guards friendlier?
Security are employed by us to ensure the safety of everyone on site. Security will generally engage with people if they see something they are concerned about, such as an action that is likely to injure somebody or damage something on site. If security do speak with your club or members, please offer reassurances that you are taking safety matters seriously whilst on site.

Hughie: They seemed friendly enough to me - we were only approached once and asked to move our furnace/forge/fire-pit outside of the marquee, which we did, and then promptly moved it back in once they'd left.

Why are the fireworks so far away?
The fireworks are launched within a fallout area. Due to health and safety regulations, we cannot risk having hot material falling down on tents or buildings possibly causing potential injuries or fires.

Hughie: It seems this "fallout area" was misunderstood last year, and they launched the fireworks from Chernobyl instead. I do see the point here though, so I've asked that they publish the location early so people have time to walk/wheel/roll over to see them.

Why can’t we rev our cars after the fireworks?
This is considered anti-social behavior by the local authorities and can be treated as such, with JAE Show being heavily penalized. Please respect the neighbours around the show ground. We encourage everybody to turn on their hazard lights during and after the fireworks.

Hughie: Yeah we're probably still gonna do it, the same as everyone else.

Will there be more trade stands and why were they so spaced out previously?
This year we have moved the layout to put traders in one central area. Traders need to have assurances that attendance at JAE will be a worthwhile investment for them, so please support our traders by visiting their stands. The feedback received from traders previously is that people tend to stay on their club stands and don’t view or buy goods from them. We hope that by having the trade stands more centrally located, the event will be more attractive to traders in the future.

Hughie: Hoorah. I did ask about adding some new traders that could bring in something other than chinese tow straps, dust caps and detailing stuff, but no response on this. They have said if we can refer any traders to pass their details on, so if anyone knows anybody, please let myself or Lerch know!

Where was the noodle lady, we loved her food, especially as she catered for allergies and intolerances?
Yoriko retired from her business last June which didn't allow us much time to find an alternative Japanese catering provider. We contacted several other Japanese catering companies, even going to the extent of placing an advert on the National Catering Association's website. unfortunately we received no uptake for 2017. We continue our investigations for 2018 though!

Hughie: This upsets me, Yoriko was lovely, as were the noodles :( Hopefully JAE can arrange an alternative.

Food stands are either too expensive or not enough variety.
JAE has prioritised working with 3 selected caterers since our very early days. When we moved to Newark and then Peterborough Showground, the conditions of the venue hire stipulated that only their approved caterers can attend then event. This is primarily for the showground to have assurances that their strict guidelines for food stands are being adhered to. Therefore, the JAE Team have very limited input into the catering provisions on site, except by special request (such as we previously obtained for Yoriko and others). Unlike many events, we do allow you to leave the showground and return with food and drink provisions.

Hughie: I didn't think they were particularly expensive, considering they're on-site food stands - you'll never get local chip-shop prices at an event, ever. Try going to Silverstone, then you'll think JAE food is cheap! I have no complaints about the food really, I didn't really eat it - BBQ food for us!

Why is there no 4x4 course on site?
Last year we paid for the use of a dedicated 4x4 course which less than a dozen people took advantage of. This meant that the provision of the 4x4 course was under-utilised and a significant financial loss for the JAE Show.

Hughie: Good, nobody cares about 4x4s other than Serena and her non-lowered BA.

Why aren't there any drift taxis at the show?
Unsurprisingly, there are lots of H&S regulations that must be followed to offer this attraction, as well as a huge clean up cost after the event. The surface must be cleaned and returned to the original state (i.e. removal of tyre marks), costing thousands in special equipment and cleaning services. We are continuing to investigate possible solutions.

Hughie: Good, all this did at Newark was wake everyone up and cover everyone's cars, tents and faces with gravel. No drift taxis needed - save those for track days (Japfest, JDMCombe, Japfest Donington etc)

Can we have more adult fun like dodgems?
We are investigating possible fairground type attractions for JAE 2018. If you would like to suggest companies for this, please let us know

Hughie: This isn't what I meant when I asked for adult fun, but okay. I'd actually be up for this - funfair would be epic when drunk. I'll bribe the ferris wheel operator to switch it off for the night once andym323 is at the top.

Will there be a tannoy system to announce when and where things are?
Tannoys are great, except if you are trying to have a nap, so this year we are investigating an SMS text messaging system so that you get regular alerts about what's happening at the show.

Hughie: This is a great idea

Clubs that entered IKO didn’t turn up and we didn’t get a chance to enter against anyone else.
Clubs not turning up has always been a massive issue; people become ill, forget where their meant to be or are too hungover. We are reviewing the format of the IKO so that it is a fairer for everyone that takes the time and effort to participate. Thank you to a number of clubs that have offered suggestions for new challenges, including more that involve their cars... we love these ideas and hope to include them in JAE 2018!

Hughie: As a club, we don't tend to get involved in these sorts of things, but I did put forward a few suggestions of new challenges, including car related ones, so hopefully these will come to fruition and we perhaps will be more inclined to take part! I suggested a "who can get the most people in/on their car" challenge - I'm bringing my trailer so we've got a guaranteed win.

Can we have the time of events and map with locations.
Showguides are free for everyone at JAE. They are available on the gate and in the admin office. Please come and grab some for your club stand.

Hughie: These were available last year, but we're not distributed at the gate on Thursday when a few of us entered, so not everyone had them. I'll be sure to grab a load and keep them on our stand, so those without one can grab one from me.

Why do I have to pay a deposit for my support vehicle to drop off my items?
JAE does allow non-Japanese vehicles into the show, but we don't want our JAPANESE car show to have lots of random cars or vans on site. Therefore, we will require a deposit to be paid. Simply pay the deposit to security, who will hold the money in an envelope marked with your non-Japanese vehicle registration. When you return your vehicle back to the regular carpark within the time allocated, you will be given your deposit back.

Hughie: Non-japanese vehicles will be burnt on sight.

Why can’t I park my car on the stand with a day ticket?
With the volume of cars at the show, we need to minimise unnecessary vehicle movement as much as possible. This year, we will be offering a special 'day visitor' car park within the showground, where day-ticket holders can display their vehicles up until 10pm.

Hughie: While this is annoying for day visitors, it totally makes sense - it would be impossible to police who buys a day ticket but stays for longer. There are ways to work around this, however, and if we get interest from certain attendees who can only make a day, we can work with them to get their car in. We are not ripping off JAE, however - anyone we help gain entry will need to be offsite by 10pm as per the rules!

What time is the show going to end on Sunday?
The show doesn’t finish until 4pm on the Sunday however we have been unable to stop people packing up and leaving early. This year we have been asked to minimise the movement on the days we are open to the public.

Hughie: I don't think this will change anything - traders will be gone by 1ish I reckon, so Sunday will likely remain a packing-up day.

Profile Facebook  

Hellracer
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:03 pm 

Good work lads,

We wont be there though, having small kids are a big responsibility
Next year maybe with the oldes kidd

SerenaJ
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:09 pm 
Gold Member Offline

Nice one Hughie! :thumbleft:

Quote:
nobody cares about 4x4s other than Serena and her non-lowered BA.

:thefinger:

Can I bid for a Thursday pass, please? The reason being distance, from Surrey it's about half a day and I'd lose much of Friday. Although I could leave at 3am Friday, arrive at 7am when the site opens and then rev my 4x4 very loudly and help your hangovers along :laughing6:

Although why do they need to restrict passes? Why not just charge anyone who wants to be there on Thursday an extra fiver to cover security/medics?

Quote:
I suggested a "who can get the most people in/on their car" challenge - I'm bringing my trailer so we've got a guaranteed win

Given the size of a BA boot we could probably get the entire club in the same car. Which would be ... interesting ... :pale:

I thought the security guards were pretty friendly tbh. And they were impressed with the wheel-be-que, even if they did want it out of the marquee :lol:

S

Last edited by SerenaJ on Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stu.13
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:54 pm 
Gold Member Offline

My Car: BJ Sport

Can I put my name in hat for Thursday pass too, again distance of travel.
I'll trump Serena's 4hrs travel with my 6hrs. :roll: :lol:

Profile Facebook  

Lerch
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:45 am 

I do think that travel time is a major factor we'll consider when we look at Thursday passes. I'm only 90 minutes away so its not that far for me really, plus I don't mind turning up Friday morning if it means other people can attend on the Thursday.....cant promise that I wont wake you all up from your drunken slumber in my tractor though :D :D :D

Profile Facebook  

HughieW
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:17 pm 
Website Admin Offline

Yep, travel time will be the primary factor really, and we'll have to see how many attendees we're likely to get, versus how many Thursday passes we can get :thumbleft:

Profile Facebook  

HughieW
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:16 pm 
Website Admin Offline

Okay ladles and jellyspoons, our plot has been booked :thumbleft:

We're in Plot C31, which will mean nothing to any of you, but for those there last year, you might remember a plot between our stand and the bogs which was empty - we've booked that one. Smaller plot than last year, but we did have rather an excess of space!

Here's a hastily drawn map to show the route in is attached :thumbleft:

Attachments:
jae-2018-plot.png
jae-2018-plot.png [ 1.05 MiB | Viewed 2807 times ]

Lerch
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:02 am 

Top quality drawing skills mate.....although i am definately going to take that route when going to the stand.....just to annoy you! And i'll make you follow me!

The stand we booked last year was for 30 cars with tents and marquee which i thought we would fill but turns out we only really used half of it so this new pitch should be enough size wise.

Profile Facebook  

smurf182
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:47 pm 
Gold Member Offline

I'll be there this year, shame no 4 days though

Discostew38
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:57 pm 

When and where is this ?

Lerch
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:34 am 

Discostew38 wrote:
When and where is this ?

When: Friday 31st Aug to Sunday 2nd Sep 2018
where: East of England Show Ground, Peterborough
:)

TICKETS LIVE
Tickets for JAE are now live in the club shop guys. We've done what we can to try and offer a discount on this years ticket to gold members but for those who arent;
1) why aren't you members, and
2) there are standard tickets available.

Tickets are available here: http://club323f.com/shop/product-category/tickets/

Gold members you will require a password which you'll have to PM me for :thumbleft:

Profile Facebook  

SerenaJ
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:03 pm 
Gold Member Offline

Cheers Lee - any news on what's happening with Thursday?

S

Lerch
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:33 pm 

SerenaJ wrote:
Cheers Lee - any news on what's happening with Thursday?

S

We're not totally sure how many passes we're getting but it looks like we'll get 4. That means there's 2 up for grabs based on distance traveled to JAE

Profile Facebook  

MasonX3
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 9:51 pm 

We are coming to this, are there still Thursday tickets available?

Lerch
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 10:43 pm 

Good stuff Ben. Unfortunately we've already allocated our small batch of Thursday passes :(

Profile Facebook  

MasonX3
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 8:00 am 

Lerch wrote:
Good stuff Ben. Unfortunately we've already allocated our small batch of Thursday passes :(

That's a shame, we will book Friday off and come early. Make sure there is room for 3 cars :D