It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:48 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

smurf182
 Post subject: Is it even possible??
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:06 pm 
Gold Member Offline

My Car: BA 1.5 Intrigue 'Womble'

Long shot, very long shot indeed.....pi ked up the new car, all is good, driving home begin a truck, fires up a stone and yaaaay, I have a big bloody chip right in my line of sight so an obvious mot fail. Current car is to be a donor car for new one. The new car's windscreen is beginning to delaminate so it was due replacing anyway.
Question is, and my theoretical answer to myself is, swap them over. Can it be done? I'm guessing yes, but is it worth doing money wise?

Thanks

maZZda
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:08 pm 

Yes, it could be done.By my opinion if the new(used) glass is not scratched or something else, it is the better choise than an aftermarket one.The aftermarket ones over here are thiner, easier to be scratched(2years top) overall not that good in quality.
I'm in the same position like you Paul.I've already sorced a glass and get it off the car(not by me) just need to remove mine and put the new in place.The work is HUGE, but it's doable.Just have to have maybe two big buckets filled the one with nerves and the other with patience.
The guys that removed the glass told me to watchout for the plastic bits that are worn by 20years of weather, because they will fall apart in my hands if i put any slight pressure on them.They recommended me to find a workshop/garage that does this kind of stuff and pay them to do the work, but i'm not sure that i want to..
Well, everybody is afraid of something.. i'm afraid of giving my car to complete strangers to work on it.That is like Russian roulette here.. :lol:

Discostew38
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:16 pm 

Yes it can "but"
Bonded front screens are very easy to damage whilst removing
If you catch/chip the edge as you cut them out its game over because any movement after that will start it cracking

Much easier if you had a new one to refit as it don't matter if you damage the one your removing

The proper screen bonding stuff is quite expensive so it may be worthwhile getting a screen company to do it

smurf182
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:31 pm 
Gold Member Offline

My Car: BA 1.5 Intrigue 'Womble'

Thanks for the answers, and yes both right, it can be done, but not by me. Found a company which can both source and fit a new screen. Mazzda, correct about the trim too. I'm looking at £176 to source and fit a new screen and £24 for the new trim.
I have an excess on my insurance policy for windscreen replacement so I think I will give them a call see what's what. Id rather not mess up my no claims bonus if possible.

brucey76
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:29 pm 

if you've got windscreen cover then all you'll have to pay is the excess and shouldn't interfere with the ncd. however removing an old screen isn't too bad of a job if you use cheese wire it slices through the bonding glue as it were pritt stick

maZZda
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:58 pm 

brucey76 wrote:
however removing an old screen isn't too bad of a job if you use cheese wire it slices through the bonding glue as it were pritt stick

That's correct, but when you consider the recess that the windshield is in from the metal at the sides where the plastic trim is :?