It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:50 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

pitrack_1
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:51 pm 

I've been wondering about this for a while but this post has been prompted in particular by the "Father wants rid of my 323 Intrigue" topic and the pics therein.

You guys put so much effort into maintaining the vehicles on the road to watch them slowly (or not so slowly) dissolve from underneath you. Meanwhile in Oz the vehicles get scrapped mostly due to mechanical or lack-of-care issues. You can pretty well guarantee any post-1990 car in the scrap yard will be structurally solid with little, if any, rust. It's possible there are more 323 BAs sitting in the scrapyards in OZ than are registered left in the UK!

Which brings me to the point- you peoples in the UK would be better off if somehow you could grab some of the panels, sills, doors, etc. from the Oz cars about to be recycled and ship them back. They'd be structurally sound, almost certainly no rust (or superficial at that). You could get head/taillights too, even the white reversing ones (if that's what you want). Paint can be a problem in Oz but that's much easier to fix than perforation rust!

I had a look at PicknPayless in Sydney- there are 3 BAs (plus BGs and BJs) there currently. The price listed is $507 for a rolling bare chassis- that'd get you sills and a boot floor. Looking on Gumtree you'd probably get a whole car for that much or less.

Another option is perhaps JDM- there's a guy here in Victoria 'Rupewrecht' (I'm sure some of you will have heard of or dealt with him). Perhaps he may be able to help, otherwise perhaps you could ask his advice on getting any 2nd hand parts from Oz to the UK. If you team up and want several bits, especially multiples, they may be easier & cheaper to obtain?

Some Rupewrecht links:
AstinaGT forum
Facebook (I love the Mazdaspeed seats)
Gumtree (oooh, the Mazdaspeed strut brace and black MS-01R wheels)

The problem is of course $$$ plus the various red tapes to be cut. Then the distribution back in the Uk for if several parties are involved. That's all beyond my knowledge. Maybe someone could even take a holiday down under to go and cut some up and ship 'em back...

Just an idea,

Patrick

Steve Zodiac & Robbie
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:01 pm 

Enough to make us drool in the UK but it's the damn shipping that is crippling, more cost effective with a whole container but I fear with so few BG/BA's over here it wouldn't be worth it.
Seen in Aus new sets of carpets but it's just the cost of getting them across the world, if they'd even do it :( Good thought though, now, what can you fit in a suitcase? :lol:

Pinkers
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:26 pm 

Interesting idea Patrick. I've often looked at Rupewrecht's listings, but as above, the shipping for everything is a killer. It's frustrating, because rust is killing off the UK BAs - I'm always on the lookout for a V6 that's A1 underneath these days, but they are getting very hard to find. If I can't get one I might just import a Type R from Japan. They come up regularly often with silly low mileage and, if from the right part of the country, no rust. Given the reliability of these cars, I'd rather spend a few grand that way than move on to something less beautiful, less fun, less characterful....and less reliable. Most newer cars just leave me cold.

pitrack_1
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:00 pm 

Sorry, yes by $$$ I meant shipping $$$. Don't worry I understand that- as the a**e-end of the world it also costs a lot to ship to Oz too! :D

Also it doesn't have to be limited to mazda- since some of you are going to the shows, you should get networking, someone will know someone who actually ships or knows how to ship or runs some sort of parts business so if you could organise a batch of parts for several persons/clubs you could probably get away with a container's worth.

Patrick

Steve Zodiac & Robbie
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:46 pm 

Pinkers wrote:
If I can't get one I might just import a Type R from Japan. They come up regularly often with silly low mileage and, if from the right part of the country, no rust. Given the reliability of these cars, I'd rather spend a few grand that way than move on to something less beautiful, less fun, less characterful....and less reliable. Most newer cars just leave me cold.

That has gone through my mind too, nothing lary with the massive rear wing or in black (they seem to be nearly all black?!) but just a nice V6 with years left in it